44 Mag, as your one and only...

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

44 Mag, as your one and only...

Post by NE450No2 »

One of my long time shooting buddies called me a few days ago...

Fifteen years or so back, because of me he became a 44 Mag Kind of Guy...

He shot a bunch of different calibres of handguns and decided that, for him the 44 Mag would do everything he needed to do with a handgun.

He is a simple kind of guy, and he used 3 loads, all with 240 cast bullets.

A plinking, fun load with 7.5gr of Unique.

A Defensive [2 legged] and general field use with 9.2 gr of Unique.

His full power load is 22 gr of [old] 2400...

Now that CHL has come to Texas., he does use a "store bought HP".

He bought a Mountain Gun for CHL, but I may have him confinced that one of the shorter barreled lightweight 44 Mags might be a good addition to his "bank" of 4" 6.5" and 8 3/8" revolvers...

I have never been able to talk him into a 1911...

HIS theory is, IF he needs more "firepower" than a 6 shot 44 Mag then he will just carry two, three, or four of them.... Ala Josey Wahles... [sp] :o

And I can say he is never far from a 44 Mag, or three, with a big pocket full of spedloaders....

A couple of years ago I did talk him into a 44 Mag Lever Action... He really likes it.

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Re: 44 Mag, as your one and only...

Post by NE450No2 »

Oh, the main reason he called, was to ask which Factory 240gr 44 Mag ammo he should stock pile for the future.

He wants to lay in a supply of ammo. He wants the best ALL ROUND 240 gr 44 mag factory ammo from the following choices:

Winchester 240 SP

Remington 240 SJHP, or SP

Federal 240 HP or SP

Hornaday 240 XTP

He wants the best all round choice for everything from 2 legged defense, to deer and pig hunting, to bear protection...

While he will continue to reload, he wants the best all round factory load to stockpile...

So what do y'all think????

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I don't know about the factory ammo but I do know that I'm having an urge to buy a 44mag lever action as a big boys replacement for a .22, one that will also handle pigs :D
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Brew

Post by Brew »

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

SPEEDY wrote:I don't know about the factory ammo but I do know that I'm having an urge to buy a 44mag lever action as a big boys replacement for a .22, one that will also handle pigs :D

Speedy

I have a little experience with 44 Mag rifles. My first Centerfire rifle was a Ruger 44 Mag Deerstalker, that I got for $60.00 dollars in about 1962...

I shot a bunch of deer, and small game with that rifle.

Since then I have had a Marlin in 44 Mag, and I am currently using a Winchester Tracker in 44 Mag. My neice killed a pig and I have killed a Pig with the Winchester and both were bang flops.

I used 240gr bullets on the deer, both factory and reloads, and they killed like the Hammer of Thor.

Out to 125 yards, my farthest shot, the 44 Mag killes deer as good as ANY 308, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H or even my 450 No2 Elephant gun.

With the proper penetrating bullet I would not hesitate to use it for protection against any bear, lion, tiger etc,[maybe even on cape buff or even elephant :o ].

[I have shot cape buff and elephants in the head with heavy cast bullets from a 4" 44 Mag, and the bullets reached the brain every time].

I use this "little" 44 Mag as a Utility Rifle, both in the field and on the road as a protection gun.

It is a lot lower profile than an "assault rifle", and legal in most places.

It is the perfect companion to a 44 Mag revolver, which I most often carry when in the field.

Lightweight and easy to carry.

They are also a lot of fun to shoot.

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

You shot an elephant with a 44 Mag :?:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I got a lot of faith in the 44mag but I still don't want to have it between me and an elephant :oops:

One does make a lot of sence as a 100m Rabbit to Pig (and the odd Fallow) gun that would make a good replacement for a .22, I have been trying to decide what to get myself as a graduation present when I finally get out of this place :D
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

NE450No2
Meister der jagd

Post by NE450No2 »

skeetshot wrote:You shot an elephant with a 44 Mag :?:
I tested the 44 on elephants shot with my double rifle.

Return to “Handguns”