Kipplauf hunting

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: Kipplauf hunting

Post by SPEEDY »

Definitely happy with him, kind of regret that I decided to do a skull month instead of a full mount, only because his tines are so long and he's so even.
But I'm hoping I can get something better, he has Wetlands at the front of the property too so I'm going to see if I can get a bag of ducks today with my grandpa's old gun today.
It could be and all round hunting spot if I can.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually, I think the skull mount is still going to turn out pretty decent.
IMG_20230512_192535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Looks good to me.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I decided to take the kipplauf and venture out to see some new land well make that ancient land. I packed up and headed to Mongolia in search of Ibex a dream since I was a child. After a long trip I ended up in Ulaanbaatar the capital city and spent a day there. It is a big modern city and very interesting but I couldn’t wait to fly to the western part of the country and head down south from Altai city to the Gobi desert. After landing in Altai it was a 6 hour drive to camp.
Beer is expensive

big city
IMG_6425.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Expensive beer but good
IMG_6426.jpeg
Camp in The Gobi was comfortable I stayed in nice gerhs
What they call yurts
IMG_6491.jpeg
IMG_6466.jpeg

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Very nice. Looks like oi tolgoi is pumping some dollars into the economy.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

The hunting was great and found nine ibex on some cliffs and was able to get within 300 yards and get him with one shot. He ran about 20 feet and went down. Had to climb down the mountain I was on walk aroun another then climb the mountain the ibex was on. Way more than the 292 yard shot distance to climb down around and back up.
IMG_6486.jpeg

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

Beautiful animal….what caliber did you use on the K95?

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Congratulations

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

After my success in the Gobi area we packed up and drove back to Altai city where I said goodbye to my guide and switched to a new driver and guide and continued driving north to Kohvd where I got to shower have a nice meal and cold beers. The next morning we left on another 7 hour drive north to the Altai region to hunt the Altai Ibex. Camp again was in gerhs. The mountains were higher and steeper with camp at an altitude of about 7800’.
IMG_6559.jpeg
IMG_6557.jpeg

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Next morning we were up early and a long ride to the top of the mountains which put me at an elevation of 10,600’ and my lungs felt it. Coming from living at 480’ above sea level the transition to high altitude is a struggle. But once the sun came up it was time to glass down into the many valleys and cliffs looking for ibex.
IMG_6582.jpeg
IMG_6575.jpeg
IMG_6570.jpeg

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Right away we were seeing ibex but nothing of a size that I wanted to shoot. After a couple hours and unexpectedly two ibex came up and over a saddle below us and one was definitely what I wanted as to size and age. We had to scramble a couple hundred yards over to a pile of rocks so we could be in a better spot to shoot. The ibex were getting nervous but we made it to our position.
IMG_4527.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
The ibex was facing me dead on then swapped ends and started to head back over the saddle but at the last minute he stopped and turned and gave me the shot. It was a couple yards short of 300 yards but because of the steep downhill angle the ballistic range was 261 yards. It still felt like 300

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

The ibex ran up and over the saddle but I could see his horns go down like he fell so we started the long climb down. He didn’t go far but I don’t know how much was from sliding downhill but he was about 50 yards from where I shot him. Good thing he didn’t go any further because it was a big drop down.
IMG_6623.jpeg

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Fabulous hunt. Thanks for sharing.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Congratulations on hunt and trip.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”