Covid 19

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Corjack
Administrator

Covid 19

Post by Corjack »

Has the Covid 19 virus adversely impacted any of you guys. ?

Grocery stores in my area are a mess right now. Out of rice and beans. Also low supply of canned goods. Meat seems ok for now.of course TP paper towels and cleaning supplies are gone.

Is it being over done a bit, or do we need to have genuine concern?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: Covid 19

Post by pagosawingnut »

Of course. No TP, no bleach, no hand sanitizer. Seems like mass hysteria to me.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

No change in shopping habits here from recently arrived immigrants.

https://youtu.be/DQv5PWMzI-w

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looks like Nevada next month is cancelled and I was hoping to get to mine expo in Las Vegas in September but that probably isn't going to happen.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Yes it has, my wife can't fly here next month so know I have to rearrange flights and I won't get over there till June.
And its all pointless, it's, out and it's, spreading and there's no way to stop it now because our world's glorious leaders failed to take proper measures early on because they were more worried about the global economy then the lives of their people.

The coming financial crisis will definitely effect all of us.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Ado

Post by Ado »

In the UK, the spread of the virus is ramping. I went to the local Sainsbury supermarket yesterday as I could not order a home grocer delivery for 9 days in advance - normally next day availability. There was: no paper hygiene products (e.g TP, tissues, kitchen towel) and pasta, rice, flours - all but gone. Plenty of fresh fruit & veg, meats, cheese, diary etc. But in a very British way - there was no tonic water left!! I stocked up a bit but did not go full prepper. Could not get hand sanitiser so I will make my own out of 90% rubbing alcohol (9/10) and 1/10 aloe vera plus something to make it smell nice - should do the trick - alcohol diluted needs to be above 70% to kill bugs. waiting for the 90% alcohol to arrive from Amazon tomorrow. It is a bit hysterical - but the pandemic is real.

I coach my son's U6 rugby team - one of the other dad coaches and his son have tested positive. They showed no symptoms last Sunday, did on Tuesday, were tested on Thursday and results came in this afternoon as positive. Whole family has it. Apparently, if you did not show symptoms within 3 days of contact with an infected persons - they are unlikely to be the source of how you caught it. Doctors/government have stopped trying to track the source as it is in the community now. The NHS has stopped testing unless you have clear symptoms and people being asked to use the dial-in service and not flood pharmacies, doctors offices and/or hospitals. We have cancelled training for tomorrow and a U11 tournament that was scheduled on the Club's grounds was also cancelled. Probably last training of the season in reality.

The UK is going for the "health of the herd" strategy and trying to contain as long as possible (i.e. trying not to spike load the healthcare system/NHS and maintain economic activity). I think in reality it is a matter of when and not if, and the vast majority of the population will survive. Clearly there are more at risk categories - no doubt we all have loved ones in those categories.

An interest article to read below if you are interested - two doctors I trust reckon it is a good summary:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

From Tuesday the US is shutting borders to UK flights and as well as existing ban from all other European countries. I hope those BB residents in the US have good healthcare insurance should they need it.

Be well!

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

New Zealand has effectively closed temporarily, regardless of where you are from.

The toilet paper craze is undoubtedly a reflection of where western society has got itself to. No one seems to be able to explain the connection between toilet paper and a respiratory infection. The behaviour is beyond stupid.

On the bright side, evolution may get back on track.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Yeah there's some hysteria here but largely because of the media hype. The evening news spends over 10 minutes on it each day. Supermarket shelves are empty...and thousands and thousands of tourists arrived in Melbourne for the Grand Prix. A great way to bring the virus into the country. The Grand Prix was cancelled at the last minute fearing public safety.....and fearing transmission between patrons - they cancelled admission after many were in a queue for hours waiting to get in....mixed messages from our state and federal health ministers/ governments. This virus is much much deadlier than the flu because we have no pre- empted immunity due to previous non-exposure and no vaccines...

On the lighter side I had 2 patients make me laugh last Thursday. Both where elderly gentleman and both weren't absolutely sure what the virus was called....and we're serious....

The 1st one asked - what do you think of this Coonara virus ? (for those who are unaware a Coonara is synonymous to a wood combustion heater)...my response was - it's certainly a hot topic!

The other gentleman asked - what do you think of this Cunovavirus? My response to him was - Yes it is!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Ado wrote: Could not get hand sanitiser so I will make my own out of 90% rubbing alcohol (9/10) and 1/10 aloe vera plus something to make it smell nice - should do the trick - alcohol diluted needs to be above 70% to kill bugs. waiting for the 90% alcohol to arrive from Amazon tomorrow. It is a bit hysterical - but the pandemic is real.
70%, in that case if got sipping whiskey that's strong enough to to use as a hand sanitising wash. :lol:

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

I know somebody is making alot of money out of all of this.

Working in a Gunshop I have seen sales of lever, pump and straight pull rifles/shotguns on the increase and ammo sales have gone through the roof.

The best thing about the Grand Prix been cancelled was we were able to sell a few Blaser rifles to interstate visitors and Welcome them into the Blaser Brotherhood. :handgestures-thumbup:

Ado

Post by Ado »

Thanks - good to know - but why waste good whisky when a proper hand washing is just as good. Kids told by school to wash for as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday. I found a strange wry humour in singing a couple of rounds of “Ring, a ring o’rosie”....

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

You gotta wipe your ass so I went to harbor freight and purchased two large packages of shop towels just in case. I may end up with chapped ass but at least I can wipe if I can’t get toilet paper

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Ado wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:38 pm Thanks - good to know - but why waste good whisky when a proper hand washing is just as good. Kids told by school to wash for as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday. I found a strange wry humour in singing a couple of rounds of “Ring, a ring o’rosie”....
I could always use the heads then.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I am in the hardware business. Should I stock up on bidets?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

What's wrong with a small bucket of soapy water and a face washer.
Just give yourself a wash.

People are too spoiled these days.

Return to “Open discussion”