Coincidence? Loading for 300WM in R8 and K95

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

lovelight

Coincidence? Loading for 300WM in R8 and K95

Post by lovelight »

I’ve been wanting to ask if others might have had a similar experience that my son and I have had. He shoots an R8 and I shoot a K95. Using Norma MRP and Barnes LRX 175gr bullets, our most accurate loads came out almost exactly the same. Both had lowest STD and ES with 69.6 grains of powder and the same ogive measurement. It makes me wonder if they might use the same mandrel for each rifle barrel. Or at a minimum, the chambers probably have the same dimensions. Anyone else come across this?

This is a happy situation since we our ammunition is interchangeable. It was just a surprise after duplicate ladder tests and bullet seating trials to end up in the same place.

BTW, if anyone has any idea when/if Norma MRP will be available again in the US, please DM me. I’ve heard that RL-22 can be swapped out but that appears to be equally unobtainable. But I suppose if I have to switch powders, I might be able to just work up a load in one rifle and then validate performance in the other w/o going through the entire process.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Re: Coincidence? Loading for 300WM in R8 and K95

Post by Gamsjagd »

I think the chambers are cut via wire EDM. So there is zero differenece between chambers.

I have heard that before, not sure if that is a thing or not.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gamsjagd wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:29 am I think the chambers are cut via wire EDM. So there is zero differenece between chambers.

This makes sense to me. For years I have always done load development for pairs of R8 barrels. Two 223, 7x64, and 9.3x62.
One barrel is mine, the other my brothers. Over the years, I suppose I have developed close to ten loads for them combined. Every time I develop one for my barrel, the result in my brothers barrel is always the same, even though the various barrels have been purchased many years apart.
My brother doesn’t reload, he just buys the same barrels as me, and uses my hand loads … :lol: :lol:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:44 pm
Gamsjagd wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:29 am I think the chambers are cut via wire EDM. So there is zero differenece between chambers.

This makes sense to me. For years I have always done load development for pairs of R8 barrels. Two 223, 7x64, and 9.3x62.
One barrel is mine, the other my brothers. Over the years, I suppose I have developed close to ten loads for them combined. Every time I develop one for my barrel, the result in my brothers barrel is always the same, even though the various barrels have been purchased many years apart.
My brother doesn’t reload, he just buys the same barrels as me, and uses my hand loads … :lol: :lol:
Your brother is smart :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:01 pm
9.3x64 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:44 pm

Your brother is smart :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod
Yes he is.
He keeps telling me “I love my hunting, but reloading just isn’t my thing”… :lol: :lol:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Hopefully he pays for components

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

Lovelight….
If you don’t mind, what is the OACL and measurement to ogive your using for the 300 WM loads?

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

I have the same 300 Weatherby load for both my R8 and K95, reaching the same point after load development. It certainly simplifies my stock of reloads.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Return to “Reloading”