New Berger Sambar Slayer

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

stokesrj

New Berger Sambar Slayer

Post by stokesrj »

We are introducing a new 375 Cal 410 grain Hybrid lead core bullet. This is my first from the ground up design of a Berger bullet including all the tooling required to make it.
We have been testing it out of a 375 EnABLR with excellent results out to two miles. Three consecutive hits on a 48”x48” steel target are fairly routine. So Sambar at 800 yards should be child’s play.
For my friend in Australia, I had you in mind.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Re: New Berger Sambar Slayer

Post by mchughcb »

410grain holy smokes that should drop them.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

I seen that and has been a long time coming. However for hunting long range on Sambar, history has shown that target and Hybrid projectiles have resulted in lost deer. Early days guys would use the sierra matchking and have the projectiles tips drilled out, and open up on the lathe to help with consistency/BC with the 375 Cheytac, sniptacs and Sledgehammer's. Was very much hit and miss and a bucket load of pissing around. Few guy would charge a around a $1 to do each pill that had lathes. Then the tight asses would try themselves with a drill, but BC was dodgy. When Berger brought out the 300gr bergers for the 338's then everyone went 338 in the big guns. But if there any good, I do have a 375 Sniptac barrel. :doh: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

No bullet is perfect but this one should be better than the .338 300 grain as it will retain velocity further. However, by All reports the 30 Cal 215 Hybrid Target performs more reliably beyond 1,000 yards than nearly any bullet to date. I have many bullets returned by customers that were recovered from elk at 800-1200 yards with no modifications to the meplat but fired from 300 RUM or 30-378 WBY.
Time will tell how this one does.
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

stokesrj wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:35 pm No bullet is perfect but this one should be better than the .338 300 grain as it will retain velocity further. However, by All reports the 30 Cal 215 Hybrid Target performs more reliably beyond 1,000 yards than nearly any bullet to date. I have many bullets returned by customers that were recovered from elk at 800-1200 yards with no modifications to the meplat but fired from 300 RUM or 30-378 WBY.
Time will tell how this one does.
Elk are a bit different to Sambar, and anything where a 30cal is used passed 800m on sambar there is always a little bit of poo added to the story :liar: . But the 375 Hellfire guys out here will give them a run I'm sure with a bit of poo added to help sales for the gunsmiths. But once word gets around we will find out if there any good and I might swap back to the 375 Sniptac barrel or take may 338lap improve barrel off and have a 37XC barrel chambered using Proof carbon. 375 will be the king then :dance: The biggest problem atm out here is primers and these big bangers need the Federal 215. There's zero in the country unless someone puts them up for sale privately. They have been seen for sale up to $800AUD for a brick :o .
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Luckily Federal needs Berger Bullets as badly as I need 215s.
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Congrats, Bob. Shouldn’t we all get a cigar?

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

What twist rate is required for this bullet?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

1:11.5” or faster.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

That’s impressive. I’m guessing you didn’t design it on the back of a beer coaster at your local bar 👍

https://bergerbullets.com/product/375-c ... le-bullet/

Rod

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”