Blew my toy budget

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

analog_peninsula

Blew my toy budget

Post by analog_peninsula »

A couple of days ago I got a call out of the blue from one of the auction companies that I follow. It would seem I was the second place bidder back in early September, and the “winner” never followed through with actual money. Anyway, they asked me if I wanted the item for my last bid. I thought about it for maybe three seconds, then told them that I’d take it. You have to be very careful bidding at auction because of all the fees, and it’s easy to overbid. After the buyer’s premium, the taxes, s&h, etc., you can easily exceed 30% in additional charges, so it pays so set conservative bidding limits.

Anyway, this was a piece that I really wanted, a Friedrich Triebel double rifle drilling in 8x65r and 70mm 12 gauge. Without seeing it in person, the condition looks superior, very lightly used. An Aimpoint H2 has been installed, which probably turns off many, but I can’t realistically use iron sights any more, and it’s a plus for my purposes. The only real negative is that 8x65r is a dead cartridge, but I reload just about everything, and brass can be formed from 7x65r, which is both common and cheap. I won’t post the promo images, as they are usually optimistic, but I’ll add some pictures to this thread once the gun arrives. I wasn’t planning on dropping that much coin right now, but i felt it would be a mistake to pass up a good thing just because it was unexpected.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Re: Blew my toy budget

Post by Gamsjagd »

Nice, I looked it up. Great gun! Dolls head, going to be interesting.

There is probably some load data somewhere for the 8x64 that could work. But I'd use quick load to verify.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Congratulations, I think it would be fun to learn the in’s and out’s of such a firearm. I envy you. I am sure you know but just in case, the 8x65r has a .318 bullet. From what I can figure out from Quick Load, it looks like with the lighter bullets the 4350 range of powders would be appropriate and the slower 4831, RL 22 powders for the heavier bullets. Hawk Bullets makes two .318 bullets, 180gr and a 220gr.

Good luck and please let us know how you progress.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

analog_peninsula

This article discusses the .318 and .323 bore diameters of the Brenneke cartridges.

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/NickuduF ... neke_1.pdf

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Excellent, looking forward to seeing it.

analog_peninsula

Argh, shipping is delayed another day. I love UPS.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

dchamp wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm Congratulations, I think it would be fun to learn the in’s and out’s of such a firearm. I envy you. I am sure you know but just in case, the 8x65r has a .318 bullet. From what I can figure out from Quick Load, it looks like with the lighter bullets the 4350 range of powders would be appropriate and the slower 4831, RL 22 powders for the heavier bullets. Hawk Bullets makes two .318 bullets, 180gr and a 220gr.

Good luck and please let us know how you progress.
Kind of, maybe but you never know.

8mm in Europe is either .318 or 323. The Czech's and Slovaks have held onto the 8mm is .318 longer than anyone. The current run of CZ rifles are .323 finally.

Some cartridges have never been .318, like the 8x68 Schuler and I beleive the 8x75R.

Most cartridges have been both. I do not know if the 8x65R is 100% .318. I would not shoot any ammunition for it in it without verifying the bullet diameter. The 8x64 has been both.

The current naming convention is that .323 is denoted as capital I.

J was supposed to be the .318 naming convention, but everyone screwed this up.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Wow, sounds like a very interesting firearm.
Every boy should have a drilling once in his lifetime to play with.
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing it. :clap:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

analog_peninsula

So, I slugged both barrels this afternoon, and they measured .323, so no more concern about .318 bullet availability. The gun is in truly excellent condition, with just enough honest scars to show that it's been hunting, but no more. Considering it was proofed in February 1930, it's in amazing condition; I don't think the lighting in the following pictures quite do the gun justice, but I couldn't take pictures outside this afternoon. The next step is to get my hands on some dies, and to find a load that will regulate with reasonable proximity. Please pardon my messy reloading room :)

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Beautiful :clap:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looks very similar to mine. Well done

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I like that, it's simple, understated and classy.
Exactly the kind of thing I like, built for hunting and not for decoration alone.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Very nice looking Drilling. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

analog_peninsula

I found a set of dies. They should show up next week.
😃

analog_peninsula

The dies are almost as rare as hen's teeth, but I found one. I'll anneal some of my fired 7x65r cases, then carefully use imperial sizing wax to open the case mouths, or maybe my Lee universal case mouth expander, if that seems necessary. I've also ordered some properly headstamped cases, but I'll keep them for traveling out of the country, should that make sense at some point. We'll see what we see.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”