How to carry a loaded rifle

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Olsen

How to carry a loaded rifle

Post by Olsen »

I only been hunting in Africa once, but seen a lot of films, from there, and every time, I wonder about the way the carry the rifle. Load it up and on the shoulder, with the barrel pointing straight to the guy in front :think:

If I did that in any other place, I would be on the way home, before I could spell Blaser :whistle:

Many places in Scotland, you not allowed to carry your own gun, the guide do that, and give it to you just before you have to take the shot.

I know you don´t use sling in Africa if you hunt dangerous game, but still wonder why the carry like that :think:

Next time you go for a driven hunt, with a lot of hunters, try to load up and put it on the shoulder like the african way :lol:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: How to carry a loaded rifle

Post by Rod »

What is your definition of loaded? Loaded to me means…the magazine contains ammunition and the chamber is empty. Generally with bolt/ all moving parts forward.

Cheers
Rod

analog_peninsula

Post by analog_peninsula »

Well, a lot depends on the rifle, but sweeping someone with the barrel of a rifle is always a safety no-go. You can make the argument that it’s safe to carry with a chambered round if the rifle has a decocking device, and I night hunt with MSRs cocked and locked because there’s no way to chamber rounds silently, but muzzle awareness is paramount in every case. I’ve also seen some of the African videos with interesting rifle handling. Watch the video below then tell me what you think.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

analog_peninsula wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:34 pm Well, a lot depends on the rifle, but sweeping someone with the barrel of a rifle is always a safety no-go. You can make the argument that it’s safe to carry with a chambered round if the rifle has a decocking device, and I night hunt with MSRs cocked and locked because there’s no way to chamber rounds silently, but muzzle awareness is paramount in every case. I’ve also seen some of the African videos with interesting rifle handling. Watch the video below then tell me what you think.

Sort of a combination of hunting and rodeo . :whistle:

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Rod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:29 pm What is your definition of loaded? Loaded to me means…the magazine contains ammunition and the chamber is empty. Generally with bolt/ all moving parts forward.

Cheers
Rod
bullets in the chamber, on both bolt action and double rifles.
Olsen

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

It looks cool, and them double rifles are bloody heavy :whistle: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

Measure it, when it’s on the deck

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Thanks for raising this subject. Safety is something we all need to keep first in our minds when hunting and shooting and guns in general..

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

I think safety is in top, at least on the hunts where I been :clap:

How many have carried there gun like this, out of Africa :whistle:

I know the Blaser and many other brands, is " safe " with a bullet in the chamber, due to the safety cocking system, but a double rifle is like a shotgun, and I woulden´t trust the safety that much, if I was walking in front :think:
Olsen

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Olsen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 am I think safety is in top, at least on the hunts where I been :clap:

How many have carried there gun like this, out of Africa :whistle:

I know the Blaser and many other brands, is " safe " with a bullet in the chamber, due to the safety cocking system, but a double rifle is like a shotgun, and I woulden´t trust the safety that much, if I was walking in front :think:
I’m not sure where this saying originated. I had it drilled into as a child and I still say it to myself often.

“ all the game that’s ever been got is not worth one man shot.”

Rod

Return to “Open discussion”