Lithium hybrid starter battery?

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

SPEEDY

Lithium hybrid starter battery?

Post by SPEEDY »

As some may be aware I'm currently awaiting delivery of one of the new little 5 door Suzuki Jimny 4x4's.

I've been looking at the upgrades I want to put on it and a car fridge is must for me, cold drinks, weekend meals and of course keeping fish, venison ect cold on the way home.
I won't be using it for long periods too often, just weekend trips or occasionally parked for a week or so, but only running a 35-40lt fridge and with plenty of solar hooked up.

I was going to put an under seat 60ah lithium system in but while I was at the 4x4 shop today they showed me the Invicta range of under bonnet lithium hybrid batteries.

It works as a normal starter battery but doubles as a deep cycle battery. It keeps a reserve amount just for cranking so you never have to worry about running it flat.

But I've got zero experience with something like this, and I'd love to know if someone has tried one or something similar before and what their experience has been like.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Lithium hybrid starter battery?

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Personal if you going to run a fridge, you're better off going dual battery. If you buy a good fridge like an Engel then your looking at around 5amp's an hour at around 4 degrees. More if you crank the fridge up. If the weather is hot then its going to work harder and use more power. I run AGM 12V 110Ah deep cycle battery that's also a cranking battery if needed. But it's my second battery. I also run 180amp solar panel, if I'm staying longer in the one spot. (If the sun is out) If you go duel get a redarc dual battery system and don't go the kings rubbish. Was with a gut a few weeks ago that had the kings set up and it failed. Was running his car to keep the battery charged. We told him to go buy ice or park the car somewhere else. :doh: :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I boughtcone of the kings 60ah lithium batteries to run my kayak motor, I tested it out on the fridge the other day.
I ran it for 10 hours on freeze from warm with a 2lt bottle of water in it.
It used 20amp of power over that period, and only dropped to 13.3v.
I did it again the other day on half setting and it only used 8amp.
That was with a 35lt waeco fridge.
I'm looking at making a tray for the fridge and a slimline 100ah, but I might only be able to fit a 60ah. Then run a line from the battery back to an anderson plug earthed to the chassis. Then I can charge it with a 20amp DC/DC charger mounted to the tray.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:54 am I boughtcone of the kings 60ah lithium batteries to run my kayak motor, I tested it out on the fridge the other day.
I ran it for 10 hours on freeze from warm with a 2lt bottle of water in it.
It used 20amp of power over that period, and only dropped to 13.3v.
I did it again the other day on half setting and it only used 8amp.
That was with a 35lt waeco fridge.
I'm looking at making a tray for the fridge and a slimline 100ah, but I might only be able to fit a 60ah. Then run a line from the battery back to an anderson plug earthed to the chassis. Then I can charge it with a 20amp DC/DC charger mounted to the tray.
Well if you go with kings good luck. Just make sure you run a couple of cut off switch with the line you run to the battery. Seen a few truck's go up when something goes wrong. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

It was only going to be used externally with the solar, I'm only putting quality in the car, I want to set it up once and have it right for the next ten years.
But that's what put me off about an Underwear lithium, if it goes up I don't want it roasting my chestnuts.
But I think I will put a false floor in the back and mount one under that.

Return to “Open discussion”