Black Powder Shotguns

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

Corjack
Administrator

Black Powder Shotguns

Post by Corjack »

Years ago, I had a friend that had a SXS black powder shotgun. I was surprised to see how effective it was, and how little of a handicap it was in the field. Reloading after taking a shot was no big deal, since while bird hunting stopping to take a break is always part of the fun. Only issue I really had with it was cleaning it when you got home, but being a SXS it broke down quickly, he dropped the barrel in the bath tub (His wife was easy going) full of scalding hot, soapy water, pumped a mop up and down through each barrel, and then pulled it out. The hot metal dried in seconds, and then he hosed it down inside and out with gun oil. The whole proccess was less than ten minutes. I bought a TC New Englander 50 cal rifle, intending to buy the 12 gage accesorie barrel, but they discontiued it, I sold the rifle and never pursued it. I should have tried to find one, as I still consider it a neat way to hunt.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Cooperfan

Re: Black Powder Shotguns

Post by Cooperfan »

Knight had a great one in the TK2000 (not SxS). If I was more into turkey hunting I would have one. Incredible range compared with a standard shotgun.

Return to “Shotguns”