9.3x62

Moderator: deerhunter338mag

icebug
Meister der jagd

Re: 9.3x62

Post by icebug »

I'm thinking of trying those for wild boar driven hunts. So far I've been shooting 250grs TTSX. Did not have too many opportunities, but IMHO the piggies are not dying as fast as I would like them to. Maybe it's the shot placement though :think:
Will see what happens this season.

BTW, did you retrieve the bullet from that moose?
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

OK, will be interested to learn what you think of the TTSX after this season.

No I did not retrieve either of the bullets I hit the moose with. One was a quartering shot as she came towards me the other more or less broadside after she turned. Both were lung shots and exited, leaving good exit holes and lots of bright blood for tracking. We lost her track for a bit but sometimes it is difficult to follow by eye when the leaves on the bilberry bushes turn red... Hopefully I will get the chance at a larger bull before the season ends so that I can recover a bullet....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

Did you ever try Norma Alaska bullets?
Those are supposed to be used for moose hunting.
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

No. I've tried 180gr Norma Oryx in my 308 and found them to be too hard - other people swear by them. The 285gr Oryx is popular in the 9,3. The 285gr Alaska is supposed to be a little softer I believe? so it should be fine, I've just not tried it. Too man bullet choices, too few moose..... :-)
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

Well guys, I have to say that with this caliber i have mostly used lapua mega 18,5gr bullet (Vo700m/s) and last season I have shot 13 wild boars, the biggest was 71kg, and all of them were dead immediately after impact. Some shots were in thick brush. I didn't find bullets, because the boars were small so the bullets passed through. I have to say that I am impressed on this bullet.

For individual hunting I use Brenneke Tug 19g, but the bullet is harder and I have experienced that small boars (30-40kg) don't fall immediately after impact, because the bullet only passes through, if it doesnt hit a bone... The blood trail is good, so it is not a problem to find them. This bullet is definitely meant for bigger game.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm going to be getting a bunch of 270gn monolithic pills my mates started making, after seeing their performance on pigs, sambar, buff and bulls I'm a convert.
At our prices there well priced and I love the 3 petal design with the huge hollow point.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:I'm going to be getting a bunch of 270gn monolithic pills my mates started making, after seeing their performance on pigs, sambar, buff and bulls I'm a convert.
At our prices there well priced and I love the 3 petal design with the huge hollow point.
Speedy, are they anything like the GSCustun bullets from RSA? I've been thinking of giving those a run because one of my teams feels lead in meat is bad. Like it ever did me any harm.... :shifty:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Here's a link to a hunt report/field test of them with videos, http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/smf/i ... pic=6848.0

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Thanks. They seem to be worth a look. Anything But Barnes.... :-)
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Good price, great performance, works for me.
Some of the prototypes had me doubting but the finished product had a hell of a lot of input from a whole lot of serious hunters and some serious testing.

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

How does this bullet with its speed work in thick brush? End what about hematoma? I like heavy bullets in 9,3 because they go through brush easily and there is no or little hematoma on the meet...

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Take a look at the field report Speedy posted the linked too. The haematoma looked pretty bad in some of the photos. I sent them an email earlier today asking about both things you mention. If they reply I will forward anything useful along. FWIW, the speeds indicated in the various reports for the 270gr 9,3 loads using Varget seemed to match fairly closely with what I get from 250gr NABs. Reported accuracy looked fine. Comes down to terminal performance and while they sure seem to kill well I'm not sure yet whether or not they are likely to blow manure up.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The best part is they come in hard, medium and soft, those pills were medium.
That way you can have a box loaded with medium or hard for DG and soft loaded for pigs and most deer, they all shoot to the same POI so you don't have to re zero for different game on the same hunt.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:The best part is they come in hard, medium and soft, those pills were medium.
That way you can have a box loaded with medium or hard for DG and soft loaded for pigs and most deer, they all shoot to the same POI so you don't have to re zero for different game on the same hunt.
Yes, noticed that. More Goldilocks that Sidewinder.... :lol: I got an email reply to my questions - "phone me next week".... I might.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I gotta call him about getting 50 to load and the use of his press set up, I want to see how they go on small pigs and goats.

Return to “9.3X62 Database”