How to i get my scope into older style blaser ring mount?

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Mackensie

How to i get my scope into older style blaser ring mount?

Post by Mackensie »

Arrgghhh! I have previously been using Swarovski rails on my Blaser - which were great. However, I have just picked up one of the older-style ring mounts, and I don't seem to be able to find a way to get the scope into the rings without scratching it. How do I do it?

thechamp
Administrator

Re: How to i get my scope into older style blaser ring mount

Post by thechamp »

Actually sounds like you have the newer style where the top section is larger and has to be snapped over the scope tube. Below is a pic of the old one and the new one. Please advise which one you have and we'll go from there. :mrgreen:

The old one is actually rather simple. Take top section off, lay scope in the bottom rail, lay top over the scope, add screws. The new one.... requires Houdini and an African Medicine man.

new mount 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mackensie

Post by Mackensie »

You're right - it is the newer type.

Is there any secret to getting the scope in? I have been trying to lever the top ring open with paintbrush handles, but now just have a collection of broken paintbrushes to show for my efforts!

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Mackensie wrote:You're right - it is the newer type.

Is there any secret to getting the scope in? I have been trying to lever the top ring open with paintbrush handles, but now just have a collection of broken paintbrushes to show for my efforts!
The paintbrush handles aren't strong enough. What some of the wise men here have told me is they take thin screwdrivers (or ice picks) and stick them into a screw hole on each side and then push them together to where they technically would cross each other thus prying the steel ring open and then easing it over the scope tube. Once they've got it over the tube they relax the screwdrivers allowing the clams to close over the tube. I've heard some use as many as 4 screwdrivers to hold the ring open.

I'm personally with you in that I can't stand them and I doubt if I could put a scope in one without doing $600 worth of damage... ($600 being the price I was quoted by Swarovski some time back to replace a buggered tube.) I have managed to find the old style ones and complemented them with rail mounts to where I'm set.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I just lightly lube the rings force them over the scope and then degrease with break cleaner, doesn't put a mark on the scope tube.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Wrap the scope tube in wax paper slip the ring on then pull the wax paper out.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

MM wrote:Wrap the scope tube in wax paper slip the ring on then pull the wax paper out.
:o Must admit that sounds like a good one. :clap:

Dumb question though. Getting it back off you use the same method? Wrap wax paper and slide the ring over the wax paper and pull off or would that not work? hmmm

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I just use two of the t15 Torx wrenches that come with scope mounts. Have hundreds of them on my bench. Stick one in each hole squeeze, and they drop right on.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

MM wrote:Wrap the scope tube in wax paper slip the ring on then pull the wax paper out.
It works for me too.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Corjack wrote:I just use two of the t15 Torx wrenches that come with scope mounts. Have hundreds of them on my bench. Stick one in each hole squeeze, and they drop right on.
You buggers get Torx wrenches free with your scope bases as well do you.... :roll: :lol:

Seriously - what are the folk designing these things at Blaser thinking? :shock: This design is an improvement over the older style how exactly? And solves which particular problem? :think: :doh:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Vaughan wrote:
Corjack wrote:I just use two of the t15 Torx wrenches that come with scope mounts. Have hundreds of them on my bench. Stick one in each hole squeeze, and they drop right on.
You buggers get Torx wrenches free with your scope bases as well do you.... :roll: :lol:

Seriously - what are the folk designing these things at Blaser thinking? :shock: This design is an improvement over the older style how exactly? And solves which particular problem? :think: :doh:

If you look at the new ones, they are recessed down in a slot. I was told the old style sometimes sheared off under the recoil of the 500 Jeffry and 458 Lott. The free Torx wrench thing works great, and I have never scratched a tube.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Ah, well, I could see that being a problem worth solving with a complex double-jointed solution, given the widespread uses of those calibers.... Still, the new rings do look kinda cool, like those snazzy little slotted screw heads on the bases. :roll: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Several good ideas. All better than the one I deployed: press until they snap on. I did at least wipe a little oil on them first. So far have only remove one scope that I've put in one of these mounts and it was undamaged--no ring marks.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Do the same in reverse with wax paper to remove the rings, it works. I was told this style of ring grips the scope tube more securely. I don't know if that is true, but it has been the standard answer. Leupold made a ring in this style not sure if they still do but in their advertisements that was one of the features as I remember. I don't think I would try and bend or flex the ring to install

DocH

Post by DocH »

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”