Scoping the K95

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

jamesc

Scoping the K95

Post by jamesc »

So ive ordered my K95 in 7x65 and 22h, not its time to work out what scopes im going to buy.
I feel the 7x65 deserves some nice glass so ive been looking at a a few, basic requirements are Rail mount and nothing too big on the upper end of zoom 14-15 is max and bellow $4K.
options are:

Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42
Schmidt and bender 2.5-10x50 Polar T96
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50
Zeiss Victory V8 1.8-14x50
Leica Magnus i 1.5-10×42
Leica Fortis 6 2-12x50

I know most are going to say go the swaro but how does it compare to the others, hard part is finding a store with a decent selection of the above in stock that i can have a look at. Dont really feel like special ordering a $4k scope in to find out i dont like it....

for the hornet im thinking a little more reserved like a Z3 swarovski 3-9x36 or a fixed 6x Schmidt and bender Kalssik

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Scoping the K95

Post by Rod »

I’d go light. The Z3 for the 7mm and the 6x S&B for the hornet.

Cheers
Rod

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

My comment may seem bias as i own 4 zeiss. To my eyes they are more suited hence why i own them so i would say go the HT if you want best low light scope on the market or the V8. Conguest V6 2.5-15x56 is another option as it still boosts SCHOTT glass and all other zeiss flagship internal components/coatings. The V6 and V8 are both 92% light transmission.

I would even say the V6 3-18x50 at 630grams but zeiss will not make them in rail. I know you do not want more than 15x but at a similar weight as the V8 1.8 it would be nice to have bit more power at same weight.

You have picked some of the bet scopes on the market so buy the one your eyes suits most. I am not going to bullshit you in saying zeiss is better or swaro is better. It comes down to personal preffrence as we all differ in that

Best of luck and congrats on your K95

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

Sakobud wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 pm My comment may seem bias as i own 4 zeiss. To my eyes they are more suited hence why i own them so i would say go the HT if you want best low light scope on the market or the V8. Conguest V6 2.5-15x56 is another option as it still boosts SCHOTT glass and all other zeiss flagship internal components/coatings. The V6 and V8 are both 92% light transmission.

I would even say the V6 3-18x50 at 630grams but zeiss will not make them in rail. I know you do not want more than 15x but at a similar weight as the V8 1.8 it would be nice to have bit more power at same weight.

You have picked some of the bet scopes on the market so buy the one your eyes suits most. I am not going to bullshit you in saying zeiss is better or swaro is better. It comes down to personal preffrence as we all differ in that

The way they look to my eye is a big thing and being able to check them out and compare them, pity its a bit hard, i know its a big wish for a store to stock a pile of high end glass they would rarely sell though.
Local stores dont really deal in the swaro or schmidt and bender, can get zeiss for me but we checked the computer and basically all the high end stuff is nill stock atm.

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

jamesc wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm
Sakobud wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 pm My comment may seem bias as i own 4 zeiss. To my eyes they are more suited hence why i own them so i would say go the HT if you want best low light scope on the market or the V8. Conguest V6 2.5-15x56 is another option as it still boosts SCHOTT glass and all other zeiss flagship internal components/coatings. The V6 and V8 are both 92% light transmission.

The way they look to my eye is a big thing and being able to check them out and compare them, pity its a bit hard, i know its a big wish for a store to stock a pile of high end glass they would rarely sell though.
Local stores dont really deal in the swaro or schmidt and bender, can get zeiss for me but we checked the computer and basically all the high end stuff is nill stock atm.
Have you spoken to safari firearms they stock swaro , Elks hunting and fishing do leica and zeiss and magnum sports have zeiss ( They have a V8 2.8 in stock least you can look through it ) . That is the biggest issue we face down under mate is finding these scopes to look at and make up our mind.

If you are not set on rail mount mate look at the Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44 P BT at 490grams - there is one on usedguns for $2499 and one down my way in qld for $2290 both brand new.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I have a zi6 1.7-10x42 SR. Couldn't be happier.

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

Sakobud wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Have you spoken to safari firearms they stock swaro , Elks hunting and fishing do leica and zeiss and magnum sports have zeiss ( They have a V8 2.8 in stock least you can look through it ) . That is the biggest issue we face down under mate is finding these scopes to look at and make up our mind.

If you are not set on rail mount mate look at the Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44 P BT at 490grams - there is one on usedguns for $2499 and one down my way in qld for $2290 both brand new.
Yeah plan is to head to sydney and get a look at a few, looks like HPGS has some swaro and leicas in stock then head over to safari or magnum?

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

jamesc wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:38 pm
Sakobud wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Yeah plan is to head to sydney and get a look at a few, looks like HPGS has some swaro and leicas in stock then head over to safari or magnum?
Best of luck mate , and me personally i like magnums lot easier to deal with. Few scopes and other bits and pieces i tried to buy at safari came out to nearly double of other stores.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd go the Leica Magnus i 1.5-10×42 on a 7mm and the Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 on the hornet.
Although on both my 30/06 and Hornet barrels I'm running 2-7x36 Kahles scopes.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Swarovski rail mount. Z8, or the Z6 if you can find one.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I simply love my Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3X42 SR I have several of the others you list and many are more than good enough but the Z8i with the 4AiF reticle is superb. I at first didn't care for the circle in the iF reticle as you can see it when not lit. but now that I have used it for a couple of years it is my favorite for everything from up close running coyotes to big dark creatures like Bison to 500 yard shots on Coues deer, it has pleased me in all situations.
Robert J Stokes

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:14 pm I simply love my Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3X42 SR I have several of the others you list and many are more than good enough but the Z8i with the 4AiF reticle is superb. I at first didn't care for the circle in the iF reticle as you can see it when not lit. but now that I have used it for a couple of years it is my favorite for everything from up close running coyotes to big dark creatures like Bison to 500 yard shots on Coues deer, it has pleased me in all situations.
As Rob says the Z8i 1.7-13 .3 ×42 is truly versatile. I have a Zeiss V6 2.5 x15 x56 ASV illuminated and that has a 30mm tube. Awesome glass and love the flashdot in it if stalking. It has no parallax adjustment and don't know how Zeiss gets away with it at 15x magnification.... I do have a zero stop turret on it that goes to 7.5 milrad. I also have a V8 1.8 -14 x 50 ASV with a 34mm tube - also illuminated with a Slashdot. Awesome truly versatile scope and its turret goes to 10 milrad. Both are superb but would be heavier and bulkier than Rob's suggestion....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I love my Zeiss scopes and have two V8’s, however I would not recommend them for a K95.
You have the right idea for the.22 Hornet with a Z3 3-9x36.
For the 7x65R I would mount a Zeiss HT 2.5x10 with a rail, or even the Classic 2.5-10 if you can find one.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

I have a zi6 1.7-10x42 SR. Couldn't be happier.
Ditto.

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

9.3x64 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:01 am I love my Zeiss scopes and have two V8’s, however I would not recommend them for a K95.
You have the right idea for the.22 Hornet with a Z3 3-9x36.
For the 7x65R I would mount a Zeiss HT 2.5x10 with a rail, or even the Classic 2.5-10 if you can find one.
Usedguns has a Diavari 2.5-10x50 for $1450

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”