Vischla or setter

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

rsenatro

Vischla or setter

Post by rsenatro »

Lost my setter a month ago and miss her more than I thought I would. She was my third. After 20 years of Llewellan setters I’m wondering if I might try a Vischla. The main reason is that I live in AZ and it would be nice to have a dog that does not shed. I’m not worried about hunting performance. I’m sure that I can find a good Vischla for hunting. What I don’t know is how they are around the house, their general disposition, etc.

I have not yet found any available Vischla...the wait could be as long as a year. But I have found an excellent setter pup and need to act quickly. Should I forget about the new and stick with the familiar? I don’t know if anyone has ever successfully made the case that a Vischla is a better companion than a setter. Thoughts and comments are appreciated,

Vaughan

Re: Vischla or setter

Post by Vaughan »

Sorry to hear you lost your friend. Having gone through that, I can recommend a new pup.

Don't have a Visla, I'm owned by a couple of GWPs, but have met a few. If I didn't have a thing for wirehairs I'd consider getting a Visla. Like wirehairs - high energy and demanding of your attention, as you would expect for a HPR. Reputed to be great family dogs who love being with their pack but don't do well as "pen dogs". Great around the house provided they get plenty of exercise.

I'm not going to try to make the case that they are better companions than setters. We like the dogs we like..... Hope you find a pup!!
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I too am a Llewellyn Setter man and my fourth had a stroke while quail hunting last November. He is not long to be with us now, so I have been contemplating my next dog as well, I don’t think there is any breed that is a better companion than a llewellyn, but there are better dogs for hunting quail here in Arizona. I’ve seen GSPs and Drahtharrs that were better at it, but my heart is with the Llewelyn.
Robert J Stokes

shoots100

Post by shoots100 »

I went from a pointing lab to a brittany and have been enjoying my 13 yr old Gordon setter, nicknamed Doofus.
The lab and brit did double duty with upland and waterfowl, not happening with the setter, ever.
After my Doofus passes, I'll probably go with a smaller French Brit as soon as the dust settles and the boss (wife) calms down.
I had a friend with a Visla and I wasn't impressed, but I can't blame the dog, as my friend was going through some tough times and didn't put a lot of time into training.
Still, It was a handful and probably spent half it's time on this planet in the air jumping from couch to couch for what seemed like hours when I would visit him.
It did calm down a little after about 5 years though.
A visla is a ricochet rabbit, compared to a deputy droop along setter.

rsenatro

Post by rsenatro »

I think I’ll re up with another setter. I found a nice litter that had been pre-sold out but the dame delivered 9 pups so they had a few extra.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

:handgestures-thumbup: Hope its a good one.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

rsenatro wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:53 pm Lost my setter a month ago and miss her more than I thought I would. She was my third. After 20 years of Llewellan setters I’m wondering if I might try a Vischla. The main reason is that I live in AZ and it would be nice to have a dog that does not shed. I’m not worried about hunting performance. I’m sure that I can find a good Vischla for hunting. What I don’t know is how they are around the house, their general disposition, etc.

I have not yet found any available Vischla...the wait could be as long as a year. But I have found an excellent setter pup and need to act quickly. Should I forget about the new and stick with the familiar? I don’t know if anyone has ever successfully made the case that a Vischla is a better companion than a setter. Thoughts and comments are appreciated,
Once you hunt upland/field game with a pointer or a setter you can never accept anything else.
Pure style,pure aristocracy... Everything else is an imitation..
Jordan

shoots100

Post by shoots100 »

JPBlaser wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:57 am Once you hunt upland/field game with a pointer or a setter you can never accept anything else.
Setters are a beautiful sight when pointing a bird, but they are a finicky breed.
My Gordon is a good hunter because he was able to hunt with my brit for 5 years.
Style is nice, but a dog is useless if it can't perform in the field.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

JPBlaser wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:57 am
rsenatro wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:53 pm Lost my setter a month ago and miss her more than I thought I would. She was my third. After 20 years of Llewellan setters I’m wondering if I might try a Vischla. The main reason is that I live in AZ and it would be nice to have a dog that does not shed. I’m not worried about hunting performance. I’m sure that I can find a good Vischla for hunting. What I don’t know is how they are around the house, their general disposition, etc.

Once you hunt upland/field game with a pointer or a setter you can never accept anything else.
and that's why folks who know only hunt with a drathaar :handgestures-thumbup: :happy-partydance:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Vaughan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:25 pm
JPBlaser wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:57 am

and that's why folks who know only hunt with a drathaar :handgestures-thumbup: :happy-partydance:
Hunted for more than 15 years with drathaars... well... they do the job.... but it`s not pretty...
Jordan

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Ah well, we'll just have to disagree on that :-) I've hunted with friends setters and spaniels. Fantastic dogs with different qualities. But I would still choose to spend my time with a wirehair. That's why we have lots of different breeds, so we can all hunt with the dogs we love.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

FlattPreacher94

Post by FlattPreacher94 »

Definitely a vizsla. I have one. She is the best all around dog.

The breeder who’s started the national vizsla foundation here in the states is where I got mine. Ray Cooper - Redneck kennels in Longview Texas.

My pup trials deer for me and has done a great job. She is the perfect size. Their growing in popularity.

The key to a successful pup is the time you spend with them. I spend a lot of time. She can ride in the truck, hunt, nap, and do whatever I do with her. Best all around dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blueranger

Post by Blueranger »

Vizslas are high energy, so be prepared to exercise them or make sure they have room to run. Incredibly loyal, affectionate and like lots of attention. I have had a couple, mine were just average hunting dogs, but made up for it being great companions in the field and household. Having said that the best dog I had was my first dog I got in college. He was 50/50 GSP and springer. Amazing part of it was he was a natural, all I did was take him hunting, I knew little about training a dog. Growing up in NE, I was fortunate to have permission to a fair amount of decent pheasant hunting. He really spoiled me, it was pretty rare not to shoot a limit of pheasants if you put in the effort. Sometime is seemed like he was able to manufacture them out of thin air. Those days are long gone, pheasants are near extinct in that area of NE now. Practically makes the newspaper if one is spotted. :)

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Glad you are enjoying her.

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

The very fact that a good setter pup is available to you should be the answer to you’re question. I’ve chased ruffed grouse in the NE for years and a good setter or in my case, a good Brittney is tough to beat!
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”