Talk me out of a K95...

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

stokesrj

Re: Talk me out of a K95...

Post by stokesrj »

jmesc wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:27 pm
stokesrj wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm I felt the same and the only cure was to have a K95 Stutzen but to my liking. Maybe these pics will help you resist. I went to the factory in Isney to pick out the wood. 1AF0C319-9729-41AD-BCC5-F14FD57C09BD_1_105_c.jpeg
the engraved grip cap is that how they come if optioned?
Yes the engraved grip cap came as an option from the factory. It is a full custom so almost anything you please is available to help run up the tab.
Robert J Stokes

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:47 pm
jmesc wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:27 pm
stokesrj wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm I felt the same and the only cure was to have a K95 Stutzen but to my liking. Maybe these pics will help you resist. I went to the factory in Isney to pick out the wood. 1AF0C319-9729-41AD-BCC5-F14FD57C09BD_1_105_c.jpeg
the engraved grip cap is that how they come if optioned?
Yes the engraved grip cap came as an option from the factory. It is a full custom so almost anything you please is available to help run up the tab.
Im looking at getting the same style of cap ordered on a new k95, if it came looking like that id be very pleased :)

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

The Blaser R8 is the most perfect hunting rifle in the world....because most hunters will occasionally need
a quick second or third shot. Things don’t always work out the way you wish.

The Blaser K95 is the most perfect hunting rifle in the world for when the hunt means more than the harvest.

I own a couple of both because sometimes harvesting takes priority over hunting, but more often the hunt is all that matters.

Erniep123

Post by Erniep123 »

secondtry wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:23 pm I suspect that Ernie is not serious, or he would not have posted on the enablers forum. Might be hard to actually find a dissuader though :lol:

I hadn't noticed that Bob's Stutzen has the octagonal barrel. FWIW, to me, the octagonal barrel looks far better on a Stutzen than on a rifle. :handgestures-thumbup:
I completely agree with you on this. Personally I would have to have the octagonal barrel on one because it looks right at home

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

A couple of years ago when I first saw this rifle I thought it was incredible....nothing has changed.
That’s more than just a hunting tool, that’s beautiful...
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

I have had single shot rifles, but in keeping with “play with them when they’re in the boat,” I prefer my R8.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I have on a couple of situations needed a second shot with my k95, and I have had the time to rapidly reload and take a carefully sinned second shot. I have also hunted with bolt guns (not R8) that I needed a second shot and the animal was gone before I could work the bolt. In a real world hunting scenario if you need a second shot you can reload a K95 fast enough in comparison to a bolt gun to get the shot off. It takes practice but can be done. I am not talking a time comparison on a practice range ( the R8 ) will win every time but a real life hunting situation where the animal is instantly gone at the shot vs. offering the potential for a second shot. I did it with my moose.
Matt

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve hunted with single shot rifles over most of my hunting career, and in many hundreds of animals killed I have only had one instance where a single shot rifle was a detriment. That was a mule deer I bumped while using a Ruger number one single shot in the babaquivary mountains of southern Arizona. I quickly established a sitting position and waited for for the buck to stop and look back at whatever had disturbed them as the custom of spooked mule deer seems too be. This buck didn’t seem to know the rules so feeling like I was about to loose out on the opportunity, I took the shot while the buck was still running but my lead was off and my bullet kicked up a plume of dust just behind him. Then he decided to stop and look back as they are supposed to do. Of course he stood there still while I fumbled to retrieve a fresh cartridge from my pocket and reload. Just as I closed the action and reshouldered the rifle he took off again and disappeared over a ridge never to be seen again. That was 45 years ago, never since have I needed a repeater other than driven hunts with multiple animal opportunities.
Robert J Stokes

analog_peninsula

Post by analog_peninsula »

There's an old saying that goes something like, "One shot, one deer. Two shots, maybe one deer. Three shots, no deer."

Erniep123

Post by Erniep123 »

I have yet to need a follow up shot on any of the animals I've shot with my R8. Now drive hunts when 6 pigs come flying out of cover is a different story. I keep my shots within 200m and only shoot if I am absolutely certain it will be a vital hit on the animal. That's why I would feel comfortable with a single shot rifle. I know there are those extreme circumstances that are few and far between, and hell even with my R8 I've hit animals that turn and run directly away presenting no follow up shot if one was actually needed. There are so many variables that go into it. But as someone stated previously I think with enough range time and practice one could definitely reload a K95 in a realistic amount of time to get a follow up shot off if the opportunity presented/warranted one

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I use my K95 as my stalking gun, I don't need to shoot a whole mob of goats or 3 deer feeding on a hill ect.
Don't get me wrong when I go chasing pigs I take to 44mag and spare mags and I light em up when you jump a mob.
But strangely most pigs I have shot over the years could have been with a single shot.
Now I'd rather hunt them with my SxS, it might not be the best but it will do the job just fine, especially in the tight country I like to jump them in.

But here's a big tip to sell someone on a K95, ready for it?
Well here it us, the K95 doesn't have to be your only gun, you can still have other guns for other situations too.
But I know there's no other gun I'd rather hunt deer and most other with then my K95. (well other then Bob's K95 that is. 🤣)
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

:lol: :lol: If I ever get another K95 it would be Bob's. I would even change my name to make the initials on the grip cap work.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

MM wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:18 pm :lol: :lol: If I ever get another K95 it would be Bob's. I would even change my name to make the initials on the grip cap work.
Nah, doesn't he have a 308 bbl? Who'd want that rifle in a 308... :whistle: :whistle: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Chief

Post by Chief »

I had one,absolutely loved it.
Light,accurate,beautiful.
And I sold it.
For some reason,I didn´t use it much,I usally ended up taking the R8.
Rather odd as I love single shots.

Erniep123

Post by Erniep123 »

Chief wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 am I had one,absolutely loved it.
Light,accurate,beautiful.
And I sold it.
For some reason,I didn´t use it much,I usally ended up taking the R8.
Rather odd as I love single shots.
I feel like I may go completely opposite if I decide to buy one.. I would end up falling in love with the K95 and the R8 would end up walking the plank...

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”