Working up a BD14 Part 2: Light Loads

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

aussie rich

Working up a BD14 Part 2: Light Loads

Post by aussie rich »

Hi Guys

So some more work with the BD 14, some light loads in the .222, and 30/06.
This might seem a bit strange, but a lot of my hunting access is cultivated areas, vineyards etc, that need protection from Deer, Goats, Pigs, Rabbits and those other things..., and some of the areas, while legal and within our permission, are areas that a bit of discretion is welcome. So normally in those areas I have been using a 17 HMR, quite successfully, but with quest to have my Drilling to be the go to one gun to rule them all, I decided to do some downloading to see if I could get a .22 Magnum equivalent. So doing some .222 data extrapolation from an old Lyman cast bullet manual, I picked a few loads at random to see what I could find, and the projectile of choice was the Hornady 35g Vmax, which I believe will work quite well at the reduced velocities. So as follows, four shot groups, 50 meters and all same aim point.

7.5g Trail boss, 2025 fps, horizontal group that was my bad technique, but still potential, however that is probably the max velocity.
6.5g ADI AS50, 2312 fps, and shooting very nice, this was the load I chose to follow up, as I have a bit of this powder at the moment.
7.0g ADI AP70 2302 fps, nice grouping too and good velocity.
7.5g ADI AP100 2072, nice grouping, and potential to work up the velocity a bit.
11.5g ADI AR2205h, not a bad group, but the ES was all over the place, not sure what happened, maybe some late night reloading brain... :oops:

I also tested a heavier pill .222 load, 19.3g AR2207, with a Sierra 55g Game King, and that did the business too... :D

So happy with the AS 50 load, I took the gun home, gave a good clean, pulled apart and and put back together for the next range session.

I am really learning to appreciate the Blasers, the things just bloody work!!! The point of impact did not change and the load performed exactly what I needed it to do at 50 and 100 m during the next range session. So light, 22 Mag equivalent load sorted. I did play with some 110g pills under 20 g of Trail boss in the 30/06, but ran out of time and will need to retest and maybe do some barrel regulation, in relation to the .222 barrel

Another really positive note was checking the regulation of the shotgun barrel vs the fixed rifle barrel, and while it was a light 30/06 load and just some shotgun solids, (can't use shot on the main range) definitely regulated enough to make me smile, particularly as those shots were standing unsupported at 25m.

Awesome gun, looking forward to more development.

cheers

aussie rich

Re: Working up a BD14 Part 2: Light Loads

Post by aussie rich »

The Pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aussie rich

Post by aussie rich »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aussie rich

Post by aussie rich »

Shotgun...

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

You have to be very happy with all that. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Food for thought, I worked up a 110gn Hp trailboss load for the 30/06, 1800fps, very quiet and works a treat.

Before I got my hornet barrel it was my go to varmint load.
It would work great on deer out to 100m with a head shot.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Nice the other blaserbud order is up for sale $5500.
9.3x74R and 5.6x60R. Bargain

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If it was in 22 hornet I might have been interested.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”