Shooting the K95

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

gillie

Shooting the K95

Post by gillie »

Good morning all

I am shooting a K95 in 8x57IRS (Standard edition). Just wondering if other K95 users have had the same expereince with shooting the K95, or maybe it is just my imagination?

Ok, what I have found is that K95 is a lot more sensitive in terms of accuracy, of where you hold/support it etc.

Anybody else experienced that?

Thanks
Gillie

Attaching a pic of 2x shots at 200m just for interest sake. (195gr Hornay Interlocks at 2,470'ish) fps
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 10.46.54 AM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MC2

Re: Shooting the K95

Post by MC2 »

I have. My best accuracy comes from putting my left index finger over the barrel and holding the fore end almost like a pool cue for heavy recoiling calibers. Lighter calibers I use a normal hold. This may sound crazy to some but a specific hold technique helps. I discovered this shooting spring and piston competition air guns.
Cheers!

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Looks like your method works.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

The K95 I find difficult to shoot off the bench, but this is what works for me. I have found that if I position the front rest as close to the hinge pin on the receiver as possible groups shrink and shot to shot POI is more consistent. I do not hold the rifle down unless shooting a heavy recoiling barrel. I use this technique when doing load development and to do a rough sight in. As an aside this technique makes a huge difference with my BD14. I have found that break open guns shoot much more consistently if there is no pressure on the forend. When I do my final adjustments I have the buttstock supported and the rifle supported up front under the hinge pin with the forend unsupported. i then lightly grip the forend with my hand and shoot and make final adjustments. I think that this gives me a better final adjustment for hunting situations than trying to grip the rifle to firmly. Anyway that is just what I do and it seems to work for me consistently so I hope it might help you, but you seem to have a great shooting K95.
Matt

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

All rifles are sensitive to set up, the K95 is no exception, however I have found it to be less sensitive than most. My preferred set up is a front bag and rear bag in perfect alignment for arrow straight recoil to the rear. Because it is a hunting gun, I set the front bag to allow for my non shooting hand to grasp the fore end and the bag to support my hand with absolutely no muscle tension involved. With this set up I am able to achieve group sizes that are not obtainable with the fore end stock resting on the bag itself.
Regardless of that, I find the K95 capable of shooting acceptable hunting accuracy groups more easily and under more adverse set ups than conventional stocked or modular chassis stocked bolt action rifles unless we are talking $10k custom set ups.
That is just my experiences, take it for what it is worth.
Robert J Stokes

USPfan

Post by USPfan »

Forend of the rifle on my range bag, left hand supporting butt stock, getting great groups out to 350 yards. No real trick to it for me.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”