What is involved in owning a handgun?

All handgun subjects may be discussed here. Sponsored by Canovi & Associates Survival Training.

Moderator: pagosawingnut

skeetshot

Re: What is involved in owning a handgun?

Post by skeetshot »

dchamp wrote:What is involved...in owning a handgun in your country, province or state?

Can you obtain a Conceal Carry Permit?
Can handguns be used for Self-Defense?
Are their restrictions on caliber? [such as Mexico who cannot have military class cartridges, so their more popular handgun cartridge is the .38 Super]
What other restrictions or issues might their be?
In India, the handgun is the most common type of firearm.

One needs an arms licence to possess any type of firearm, met easily obtained by most citizens, but once one has an arms licence, the handgun can be carried concealed and usually is.

The Supreme Court in India has encouraged citizens to use there firearms for self defence.

Caliber restrictions exist, and they vary in different states and towns. There is a concept of 'Prohibited Bore" largely referring to military calibres, but the 30-06 and 308 Win are not prohibited bores. In Bombay, the 45 is not considered a PB but in most of India it is. In the state of Bihar the 38 is a non PB but in most states it is. The 357 is considered a non PB. The 9 mm is a PB.

AndyC148

Post by AndyC148 »

Here in New Jersey we must apply and use a "Handgun Purchase Permit", which is good for 90 days and one handgun only. Part of the initial process involves fingerprinting, typical background check and you must offer two non-related contacts who will reply to an investigators query about you. Recently, our state passed legislation whereas you cannot purchase more than one handgun in a 30-day period no matter how many permits you possess. It is almost impossible to receive a concealed handgun permit in this state. This is a "may issue state" as opposed to a "shall issue state". Oh, did I mention BB, pellet and blackpowder handguns are treated the same as all handguns here? They are.

We bought a home in Wyoming over the summer. Not positive, but I think the laws are a little different there! Just counting the days down guys.

hannu.k

Post by hannu.k »

AndyC148 wrote: Oh, did I mention BB, pellet and blackpowder handguns are treated the same as all handguns here? They are.

wtf , thats worse then sweden

i dident think of bb pellet and blackpowder

fore bb and pellets handguns it is free if it its under 10joule , 3 joule if its semiautomatic

blackpowder earlier than 1890 and dont have cartrige is none licence, but a new version of it you have to have licens
Kill moa before it is to late

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Dom wrote:In Germany must either have a Hunting License or are a Sportshooter. Without one of those items chances are slim you're going to go purchase a handgun.

For hunters, no big deal, as to get the hunting license you already have a background check, etc. Naturally it is a bit more detailed than this, but this is the short and easy answer.
right, but we are limited to only 2 handguns only - any more wnated Needs a very good reason...

We are allowed to carry it unloaded on the way to the hunt, and just as our rifle only load it while hunting in your hunting area...
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Geez you buggers are lucky! The Polis are giving me a hard time because I want to buy and old 20g o/u to go along with my 12 bore...... The letter I recieved from them this week seems to suggest they think I have too many firearms already - I have 2!!! One rifle and one shotgun, plus a couple of spare bbls (it is a Blaser....).

Terrific country.

The government is full of idiots.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Vaughan wrote: The government is full of idiots.
This is a modern disease spread international ...! :think:
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Vaughan wrote:Geez you buggers are lucky!
Terrific country.

The government is full of idiots.
Same here, the US is not yet as "evolved" in government selection of the fittest.
Robert J Stokes

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

UK. No handguns as a general rule.

You can apply for (but not necessarily get) a humane despatch license for a gun that holds about two rounds (I think that's the limit), but there is no such thing as sport shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff

Post by jeff »

Here is Australia, handguns are simply licensed under a different category to other firearms, and are slightly more difficult to get and more restrictive to use.

In all but one State, the only non-professional use is target/sport shooting. Even the NT, which does allow you to hunt with them, does so only by means of using the guide's gun, not your own.

We are restricted to 10 shot magazines, and 357/38 as the maximum calibre unless you shoot Western Action or IHMS, and then you can license something suitable for those. (I have a 44 for IHMS).

To get the handgun license you must be a member of a club (Who often want 6 or even 12 months of membership before they will support your application) and you must prove regular use, which usually equates to 6 shoots per year, per shooting disclipline. There are minor variations between States, but that's a good overview.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards,

Jeff

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Post by KZ45 »

I'm interested to hear someone from New Zealand chime in on this subject. I saw a fellow member hunting with a suppressed Mauser, and it made me wonder if one could own pistols there as well. New Zealand looks like a nice place to live.

Got to have my gats though. :D

Return to “Handguns”