Now this I would love, roe deer driven shotgun hunting.

A place to discuss the gentlemans' sport of shotguns. Sponsored by Great Lakes Sporting Arms.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag, Vaughan

SPEEDY

Now this I would love, roe deer driven shotgun hunting.

Post by SPEEDY »

I just discovered this, damn this would be some great hunting to get into.
I love how they describe how the shotgun kills them, they only use #2 shot and don't get a lot of penetration. They say it's the shock of all those hits at once that does it.
It would explain why I find #3 shot good on foxes when using more open chokes, it has a denser pattern and they get hit with more area coverage.
That would explain why they work so good from my experience.
But driven deer with the shotgun would be an ultimate form of hunting in my book.

Or some shorter action shots.

I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Re: Now this I would love, roe deer driven shotgun hunting.

Post by Vaughan »

It's pretty common here, using small dogs to drive the deer, or stir them around a bit. There is one guy uses small dogs for this on our hunting grounds. I like the dogs but it REALLY annoys me when my dogs have found dead deer in the forest..... I'm not a fan - though I'll admit it is more the hunter than the hunting form that is the problem.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, I found that a while ago and had the same reaction. It sure looks like fun. The Field Sports Britain put out some good hunts in conjunction with the Aimpoint guys. Some realy nice videos in the last 12 months or so.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Those are a good few videos. It's hard to believe it's just the shock of the shot that knocks the roe deer out.....surely a shot must hit a vital like the head or a spine....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've shot a lot of deer with a shotgun and I assure you they don't die if vitals aren't penetrated. Lead #2 will make it to the heart and lungs at 25-30 yards. It will surely wound at anything much further. Now TSS #2's are a whole other ball game and will go straight through them and keep on going.
Robert J Stokes

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

stokesrj wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 pm I've shot a lot of deer with a shotgun and I assure you they don't die if vitals aren't penetrated. Lead #2 will make it to the heart and lungs at 25-30 yards. It will surely wound at anything much further. Now TSS #2's are a whole other ball game and will go straight through them and keep on going.
That Tungsten stuff sure is a wicked load....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

The TSS is brilliant I'd love to be able to buy it, but they are doing quite well and have apparently been doing so for a very long time with lead shot.
I think I'd prefer if people didn't use TSS for this type of driven hunt, it would increase the effectiveness and judging by how close people are hunting I'd rather less range in this instance.
Either way it looks like a great shoot to be apart of.

But I think if they wanted more range and penetration then they would use AAA or #4 buckshot, what I find fascinating is they don't even go up to BB shot, 36gm of #2 seems to be the sweet spot for them.
As a kid we did kangaroo drives, they are bigger then roe deer, and my cousins used 32gm BB loads and I used 36gm BB back then.
It was a good combination out to 40 yards on even the biggest bucks.
I wonder if 36gm #2 shot might have worked the same on roo's as roe deer?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Shotguns”