How Do I Cut Powder Kernels Into Equal Quarters...

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: How Do I Cut Powder Kernels Into Equal Quarters...

Post by 9.3x64 »

Well it’s been one year now since I purchased these old Sartorious scales.
Thousands of rounds later I have to say they have been the most enjoyable piece of reloading equipment I have ever used. Not a massive investment, about the same as a ChargeMaster combo, but such a pleasure to use.
I cannot recommend highly enough to anyone looking for a new set of scales to consider older quality scales, you do not need to be restricted to buying a dedicated brand name of reloading scales.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm Now that right there is some serious overkill..... :doh: :lol: :lol:

I've used exactly that or similar scales for 30+ years. Excellent scales. Like all analytical scales they are sensitive to being level, to vibration and to airflow but there is nothing surprising there. Like all scales they require occasional calibration. I don't know how to do it but you might be able to find instructions online. We do this annually for our lab scales. They are pretty damn stable. Great purchase if you have the space to set it up somewhere nice and stable. :handgestures-thumbup:
Hi Vaughan,
I am after some advice from someone that has used Sartorious scales.
Do I leave the scales plug into power, but switched off when not in use ?
Or should I turn them off and disconnect them from the power supply after every use?

Thanks Allan

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

9.3x64 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 am
Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm Now that right there is some serious overkill..... :doh: :lol: :lol:

I've used exactly that or similar scales for 30+ years. Excellent scales. Like all analytical scales they are sensitive to being level, to vibration and to airflow but there is nothing surprising there. Like all scales they require occasional calibration. I don't know how to do it but you might be able to find instructions online. We do this annually for our lab scales. They are pretty damn stable. Great purchase if you have the space to set it up somewhere nice and stable. :handgestures-thumbup:
Hi Vaughan,
Or should I turn them off and disconnect them from the power supply after every use?

Thanks Allan
We normally leave 'em plugged in all the time. Usually switched off when not in use. Ours are used more or less daily because they are lab scale. The scales I have in my lab look very much like yours and have been in use since 1998. I'm sure they would also have been fine if unplugged and stored - and they have been from time to time. We have others in the department chem rooms that almost certainly date from the early 60s when the uni was set up. They're also still just fine and are always plugged in.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Vaughan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 am
9.3x64 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 am

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks Allan
We normally leave 'em plugged in all the time. Usually switched off when not in use. Ours are used more or less daily because they are lab scale. The scales I have in my lab look very much like yours and have been in use since 1998. I'm sure they would also have been fine if unplugged and stored - and they have been from time to time. We have others in the department chem rooms that almost certainly date from the early 60s when the uni was set up. They're also still just fine and are always plugged in.
Excellent, plugged in it is then.
Thanks mate.

By the way, I have just upgraded.... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Of course you have...... :doh: :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I can't even tell if there is any benefit to precisely weighing charges of powder. However, being able to do so is just cool.
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

stokesrj wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 pm I can't even tell if there is any benefit to precisely weighing charges of powder. However, being able to do so is just cool.
Yes you are probably right Bob, but it’s fun. :lol:

I have to admit, my last Sartorious measured grains to the third decimal place (0.1 mg scales), that drove me a little bit crazy.
This new Sartorious Entris 223 weighs to two decimal places ( 1 mg scales), that’s plenty accurate.
They also have a much clearer screen, automatic internal calibration, and most importantly the levelling bubble is right at the front.
Speed is incredible also.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

9.3x64 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:50 pm
stokesrj wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 pm I can't even tell if there is any benefit to precisely weighing charges of powder. However, being able to do so is just cool.
Yes you are probably right Bob, but it’s fun. :lol:

I have to admit, my last Sartorious measured grains to the third decimal place (0.1 mg scales), that drove me a little bit crazy. In fact I used to get up in the middle of the night when my wife was asleep and start cutting powder kernels Otto quarters on the kitchen bench... :lol: :lol:
This new Sartorious Entris 223 weighs to two decimal places ( 1 mg scales), that’s plenty accurate.
They also have a much clearer screen, automatic internal calibration, and most importantly the levelling bubble is right at the front.
Speed is incredible also.

Return to “Reloading”