K95 measuring to the lands

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

Tomjoad

K95 measuring to the lands

Post by Tomjoad »

OK, so I'm working on loads for my "new to me" K95. I'm used to loading for bolt guns and have always used Hornandy's OAL gauge with a previously fired case to get a very accurate from bolt face to lands. How are you all doing this accurately in a break action?

I have tried seating a bullet in an empty cartridge and working my way down in .005 increments until the rifle will close but this just seems ridiculous and I'm not confident I'm not pushing things around in the closing process.

There must be a better way no?

One of the reasons I'm excited about this gun is the lack of limitations on COAL which is inherent in all bolt guns with a magazine. I am not a fan of chasing the lands but frequently run out of options especially with heavier longer bullets in my bolt guns.

Dinger

Re: K95 measuring to the lands

Post by Dinger »

I take a sized unprimed case with the selected projectile and get my OAL from the barrel. You can either just slide the lot in and close the action or pop the barrel off and tap the case in. I always rub some powdered graphite around the ogive to ensure the projectile doesn't stick to the lands.

Though in my experience with the K95 even the longest bullet will be seated less than a bore diameter in the neck, others won't seat at all.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I just get a factory round and set my die up on it, that has always worked for me.
But then I don't go for maximum accuracy either, I go for sub inch hunting loads and I usually get a half inch or so, that's about as good as I can shoot anyway.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Tomjoad

Post by Tomjoad »

Appreciate the feedback. While I’m not chasing match rifle accuracy with a 20” stutzen I do enjoy load development and tuning.

Speedy I did get that 30-06 to the range over the weekend to start some load development. I didn’t get to your RL17 suggestion but Varget was not bad at or under MOA and my opening RL15 trial was over 3k FPS and 3/4” @ 100yrds over three rounds. I ran out of time to finish that RL15 but that was my opening weight so these are gonna get pretty zippy from here. Both powders were pushing 137gr hammer hunters. I’ll be loading up that RL17 next and heading to the range to finish the RL15 as well but I think the RL15 is likely going to be the ticket with these light monos.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I think you will like the Reloader 17, it's, definitely my GOTO powder for the 06 family of rounds. 👍
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

What Dinger said. Barrel off and gentle fingers.

Rimmed cases may be a little easier as it's easier to see the rim bottom out, but is also very easy with rimless.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I would the Hornady O.A.L. gauge on the K95 barrel the same way I use it on a traditional bolt gun or a R8 barrel.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Tomjoad

Post by Tomjoad »

dchamp wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 am I would the Hornady O.A.L. gauge on the K95 barrel the same way I use it on a traditional bolt gun or a R8 barrel.
I am ashamed to admit but I hadn't even considered using this gauge which I already OWN! Thanks all for the feedback, time for a second cup of coffee. 🤦‍♂️

Return to “Reloading”