Long time listener, first time caller ...

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

analog_peninsula

Re: Long time listener, first time caller ...

Post by analog_peninsula »

You ask a simple question, but it really comes down to distance from where you live, the area where you hunt, and $$$. Some parts of the state have phenomenal deer density, and can withstand corresponding hunter density (100 acres/hunter) if trophy quality isn't a primary concern. Other areas are dryer and more barren requiring much more acreage per hunter (500-600 acres/hunter) if you want to keep the population healthy. Obviously, many leases are severely over hunted. On a true trophy lease ($$$), hunter density is very light, and most won't allow the shooting of deer under 5.5 years, except for designated culls. The area I hunt is comparatively barren and water is at a premium, but the surrounding properties seem well managed judging from the quantity of game I see. My mid-priced lease is 480 acres and I share it with one other hunter. Because of the terrain, it hunts larger than its actual size, for which I am thankful. I think it is fair to characterize the pair of us as conservation minded, and we avoid shooting young deer as a matter of principle. While Texas state and county laws allow us each to take one buck and four whitetail doe (and one buck mule deer, if really lucky), it is important to understand that much depends on the annual rainfall and the corresponding carrying capacity of the land, as the area around Childress is very dry.

All that out of the way, people usually try to lease as much land, as close to where they live, as possible. Since I live in a suburb of Dallas, that means I drive for 3 1/2 hours. I could find something smaller/more expensive/with more hunting pressure much closer, but I really enjoy the freedom and relaxed atmosphere of my current lease, and I couldn't ask to share it with a more decent and responsible hunter.

Lest I've made this sound too "holier than thou," all of the conservation-speak applies only to the deer. We shoot hogs on sight 365 days a year with AR-15s, night vision gear, etc, and coyotes too, where possible.

garypilot

Post by garypilot »

Thank you. This helps. I have a brother in Ft. Worth, daughter & son in law in Austin - time to put all of them on the hunt for a deer lease!
Gary

analog_peninsula

Post by analog_peninsula »

Finding a good lease for reasonable $, isn't usually easy, but it's worth the effort.

Return to “Open discussion”