New Hunting Rig....Hopefully

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

dchamp
Meister der jagd

New Hunting Rig....Hopefully

Post by dchamp »

Last year I purchased what I hope I will be able to use partially as a hunting rig. Formally, it is known as a Piper PA-18-150 or more commonly a Super Cub.
I have flown for many years, mostly Cessna 182's and 210's but this is my first tail dragger. I have been training for and received my tailwheel endorsement and am now spending time getting to know the planes in's and out's and perfecting my takeoff and landing on short dirt runways. Once I feel confident and proficient in that I plan on doing the same with mountain flying. There are a couple of schools up in Idaho for this that a few Mountain Flying friends have been to and recommended. Hopefully this summer I will be able to do that.
Is there anyone else on the forum doing this or something similar?
IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

stokesrj

Re: New Hunting Rig....Hopefully

Post by stokesrj »

My oldest son built a bear hawk that we use to fly in hunt and fly fish. He also just got his float plane certification. Here is a pic of the bear hawk during the build with my granddaughter at the yoke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

That is nice. I've only seen Bear Hawks on you tube. Didn't realize they had 6 cylinder engines. I bet it climbs well and scoots right along. Have you enjoyed using it for your hunting and fishing?
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Very cool new toy, Dan. I love all bush planes. I’ve wanted a cub ever since my Alaska hunt. Impressive aircraft.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I hope you have many great adventures with it. Stay safe.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

dchamp wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:06 pm That is nice. I've only seen Bear Hawks on you tube. Didn't realize they had 6 cylinder engines. I bet it climbs well and scoots right along. Have you enjoyed using it for your hunting and fishing?
Yes, we enjoy it a lot, my son built a new home at Pegasus Air Park so we can fly right from his hanger at his house. That makes it really nice because his hanger has plenty of room to store all our camping, hunting, and fishing gear. That way we don’t have to haul everything back and forth.
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Wow Dan, that’s impressive. Congratulations.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Cool az!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

You need to get a pilots licence joe.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Be a fun toy to have around. I never even though about taking flying lessons... Especially at this age! Buddy of mine has two Cessna 182s and I won't fly with him either. I'll stick to the big boys.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

thechamp wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:51 am Be a fun toy to have around. I never even though about taking flying lessons... Especially at this age! Buddy of mine has two Cessna 182s and I won't fly with him either. I'll stick to the big boys.
One of my younger brothers turned 66 last year. He got his pilots license last year also and is now working on his instrument rating. We also have a C210, mostly for business and general A to B type flying. The C182 is IMO one of the very best and safest airplanes to fly. It is never too late thechamp.

Return to “Open discussion”