ELR Rimfire

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: ELR Rimfire

Post by ebrownw2 »

Bob, did you ever get your Vudoo? Curious to hear your experience. I am still thinking about one.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yes, sort of, I got the barreled action but not the stock. I took the barreled action which was a Bartlein MTU contour, to the Lapua test center and shot all the lots they had of Lapua Center-X. It didn't shoot any of the lots they had to my satisfaction so I called up Vudoo and they were very insistent that I return it to them so they could put a new barrel of my choice on it. So, I did and chose one of their Ace 20" Kirku profile ceracote in midnight black. I got it back in just after the first off the year and put it in one of my Bergara B14 stocks just to begin break in before taking it back to Lapua to test the new barrel in their wind tunnel and from their machine rest. I can tell it shoots far better than the first one and has shot several .3" groups at 50 yards and a 50 shot group that was .88" so it is very consistent. This was with SK+ so I can't wait to see what it does with a preferred lot of Lapua Center X. My appointment isn't until Feb 23rd so it will be a while yet. I was shooting with Rob Latham the other day and he has three of the Vudoo 22's and just flat said he had never heard of one that didn't shoot, all of his had Ace barrels and shot like my new one does. So I guess I just got a lemon. But am very happy with the way they handled the problem.
Robert J Stokes

bowji john

Post by bowji john »

I have just built a target course at my place so that I (and others) can practice PRL type skills using .22LR

Sadly my max range is 200m but by building barricades in suitable places and keeping targets at 3" and 2" we can have a fun and challenging time calling shots and wind under time restrictions similar to that of the PRL discipline

I'm using an R8 .22LR and a Cz 452

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My R8 with Eley Match (preferred lots) will shoot as well as anything out to 200 yards but the Vudoos really outdo it beyond. Lots of folks here use the CZ452 also but I haven't seen one with a factory barrel win a match yet, most get them rebarreled to be truly competitive.
Robert J Stokes

bowji john

Post by bowji john »

I've bought a leupold mk 5 in 5 - 25 x 56 for my V22 Vudoo

Have not received either yet so can't comment on how effective at long range they will be

We were shooting my Cz 452 out to 150m this morning

A few hits achieved on a 2" gong on its side which approximates to a 1/2 " target

3" gong makes an easy target @ 150m

I'm hoping for great things from the Vudoo

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My V22 goes in for lot testing at Lapua next Tuesday. Hoping for great things.
Robert J Stokes

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Did a little varmint eradication today with the Blaser R8 22LR. The longest shot was 211 yards, closest was 51 yards. I was trying for head shots only but the 211 yard shot was through the chest. I was using my new EL range Binos for the range finding and was shooting prone so perhaps the range finding beam was a long elliptical shape and may have been off a little. Regardless I was very happy with the wind call, it was about a 12 mph quartering wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

Af300e

Post by Af300e »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:06 pm Did a little varmint eradication today with the Blaser R8 22LR. The longest shot was 211 yards, closest was 51 yards. I was trying for head shots only but the 211 yard shot was through the chest. I was using my new EL range Binos for the range finding and was shooting prone so perhaps the range finding beam was a long elliptical shape and may have been off a little. Regardless I was very happy with the wind call, it was about a 12 mph quartering wind.
What’s your bipod? I like the look of it

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It is a Tier One Evolution with the Blaser adaptor.
Robert J Stokes

Af300e

Post by Af300e »

stokesrj wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am It is a Tier One Evolution with the Blaser adaptor.
👍 look great.
Thanks Robert.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Nice shooting Robert and a great looking outfit (bi-pod excluded :naughty: :lol: :whistle: ) Is the scope the Nightforce ATCR ?

Cheers
Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Rod wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:46 pm Nice shooting Robert and a great looking outfit (bi-pod excluded :naughty: :lol: :whistle: ) Is the scope the Nightforce ATCR ?

Cheers
Rod
This is just the SHV F1 4-14X50. It is really a great scope but not up to the ELR task as it only has 90 minutes of vertical adjustment which is ok for 25 to 300 yards but not ok at 400-600 yards even with a 40 MOA canted base. Interestingly though I could see the bullet travel from the muzzle to the top of the field of view on the right side and then reenter the field of view even further right of center and come down to the little varmints chest. It killed him instantly with the flat point of the EPS bullet shape. I could then see the dust plume behind him move rapidly away in the wind. It was very interesting to watch and I wish I had been filming it through my spotting scope.

I plan to put the ATACR on my Vudoo once I get the Manners stock for it.

I picked out a lot of Midas + at the Lapua test tunnel yesterday that shoots well out of my Vudoo, $1,550 per case plus tax and shipping. Pretty pricy for rimfire ammo at $.31+ per round but I also have a few cases of SK+ that also shoots well out of it, just not as accurate at 100 yards and beyond. I can still utilize it for practice and shoot the Lapua+ in matches when needed. They are both the same round, just the Midas+ is from exceptional lots. My R8 won't shoot any of the SK+ or Lapua CenterX or Midas+ anywhere near as well as it shoots the Eley EPS Match and my Vudoo won't shoot the Eley anywhere near as well as it shoots any of the Lapua.
Robert J Stokes

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the information 👍 I’m pretty sure I’ll buy the same Model NF SHV for my R8 barrel as your running on yours. I reckon it will cover my needs amply.

Cheers
Rod

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Nice!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”