6mm BRA

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

6mm BRA

Post by Corjack »

Revisiting the 6.5x47 had been a great experience. Ease of loading accurate Ammo without the never ending tweaking and tuning and the predictions that at the very worst it always shoots good, has lead me to try a 6mm BRA.

Folks that are out actually getting it done, rather than just typing on a keyboard report it has the same characteristics as the 6.5x47 and the parent case the 6mm BR. Also 90% are using the exact same loads. 29.4 grains of H4895 fire form loads , and 30.5 grains H4895 after. Both with 105 Berger’s. Hybrids of course.

Ordered a Alex Wheeler number 1 from JGS 272 neck for lapua brass no neck turn. .104 free bore. Got a set of LE Wilson dies. Got brass, got 16 pounds powder, got reamer, got new Impact action due in three weeks, got two Hawk Hill M24 barrels 7.5 twist due on about same time. Have a Bartlien 7.5 twist on the shelf but it is kinda a marksman taper and a bit lighter than I want. May spin it up as a last resort .
IMG_6432.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Rifletuner

Re: 6mm BRA

Post by Rifletuner »

I hear a lot of good things about the Impact actions, though have never seen one in real life. Not many of them seem to have made their way over to Aus yet.

I think its hard to go too far wrong with any of the BR derivatives. I know Bart Sauter is a big fan of the BRA, and the cartridge has been popular in long range shooting competition the last few years.

Interesting to hear that you are using H4895 . Its one of my favorite powders, but I would have thought it would have been a bit fast in in the BRA. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more on how it all goes for you.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rifletuner wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:09 pm I hear a lot of good things about the Impact actions, though have never seen one in real life. Not many of them seem to have made their way over to Aus yet.

I think its hard to go too far wrong with any of the BR derivatives. I know Bart Sauter is a big fan of the BRA, and the cartridge has been popular in long range shooting competition the last few years.

Interesting to hear that you are using H4895 . Its one of my favorite powders, but I would have thought it would have been a bit fast in in the BRA. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more on how it all goes for you.
Kinda thought the same about H4895, but always thought Varget was too fast fir the 6.5x47, but resisted using it , while others that were running in the top of the pack used nothing but it. I am kinda basing my using H4895 on that same premise. As well as the fact that often times when Varget is unobtainable, you can scrounge up a pound or so of H4895.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Digging though a tin of junk I pick up at the range. Found a Alpha 6 Dasher brass, and a fire formed 6 BRA brass.

[attachment=0]IMG_6436.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have had my 6BRA reamer fir several months. Ordered a Impact 737 action. Was supposed to have it end of first week of April, but it just kept not showing up. My buddy got in a shipment of Mack Brothers actions, and at a full retail of 575.00. They are a bargain. I had a Hawk Hill 7.5 Twist M24 taper setting there , so I bought the Mack Brothers action. He chambers it up, and the day I took it home, I got a shipping notice on the Impact action. Oh well, can't have too many actions. I have a 1000 105 Hybrids on order, so have been getting used to loading for it with odds and ends of stuff. Had a partial box of 103 Vapor Trails, and they shot good, but be end of June before I can get enough of those to do anything with. Today I bought 200 Sierra 95 grain TMKs. That way I can fireform, and break the barrel in with the same bullet. The 103s liked 29.5 grains of H4895 jumping about 15. The same load and seating depth did not have a lot of bullet in the neck, so I shoved em in 10 thou more. Pressure was low and the shoulders were not blown out sharply, accuracy was also not good, so I shoved em another ten in , and loaded 29.7 grains. Now at least I had round groups about 7/8 inch. Shoulders looked good , so shoved em in another .005. Got a nice round 5/8 group. Did not change seateing depth and went to 29.9. Then it all came together. Nice round primers, shoulders nice and sharp, and ragged hole groups. I have about 30 rounds through it now. 500 of the 105 Bergers are arriveing next Tuesday. The other 500 should not be much further out. Got about 250 109 Bergers, but not planning on using them until I have a thousand 105s down the tube.
IMG_6626.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Looking the goods Ron!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Here is my poor, late for the barrel job party, Impact action.
IMG_6627.JPG

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Scored a 1000 6mm 105 hybrids, and a 100 108 BT targets today. It was famine and now feast.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Corjack wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:25 pm Scored a 1000 6mm 105 hybrids, and a 100 108 BT targets today. It was famine and now feast.
The 6BRA seems to be going great for you. Good to see you are getting bullets while you can. I am betting its going to be sporadic for a few more years over there, so definitely makes sense to stock up now.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”