COL 2.821

FPS/MPS 2705

Rifle CPR1

Barrel Length 24 inches

Scope Swarovski X5 5-25

Weather conditions & temp 88 degrees Fahrenheit

Accuracy @ 100 yards/meters stupid accurate

Notes

Last night, I got out my stash of H4350. Strapped on the Magnetospeed, loaded three rounds with 40 grains. Had an extreme spread of less than 20, but speed was an average of about 2660. I really wanted to be at a bit of 2700, so I loaded up three more with 40.3, again that had an extreme spread of less than 20, and speed averaged about 2682. Tried shoving the bullet deeper, .005, got a bit over 2700 for an average, but extreme spread jumped to like 32 FPS. Let it back out, and loaded it with 41.5 grains, which I think used to be printed on the Hornady box as a factory duplication load. Shot three more, and got an average of 2705, an extreme spread of 11, and an SD of 6.
I was busy this morning, but in the afternoon, loaded up a handful of these loads, noticed they were doing really well at 400 yards, but a tad low, and left. Decided to go back to 100 and see where I was at. It was about 1 inch low, and 1/4 left with the first shot. Decided to shoot two more, and shot this group.
I am sure somebody will try and say I did not go about this the right way, but in this case it clearly worked, using the magneto speed to find a load with low numbers, and the desired velocity first.
Still it pisses me off, that the powder that works the best is so hard to get.
I am making a road trip to Kansas City this week end, I will hit the stores up there looking for some more to buy.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Pisses Me Off

Post by 9.3x64 »

That's very impressive. I had trouble seeing the group on my phone.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

H4350 is an ADI powder, I know you know this but what that means is that shipments are made from Australia to the US in 30 ton lots. The ships often sit in harbor for 30-90 days before they are cleared to offload their cargo. This in turn means that Hodgdon must calculate demand correctly or wait 6 months to correct it.
H4350 is plentiful where I live. I visited the Reload Range near my house yesterday and they had many one pound jars on display at a rediculous $38 per pound. Harbor Relaoding has 60 pounds in stock at $32 per pound.
I have learned over many cycles of supply and demand to buy by the 32 pound case when supplies are high. By doing so I can get it for $25 per pound including HASMAT shipping and taxes.
I learned this on Varget but since applied it to H4350 as well.
Robert J Stokes

Aussiegunnut

Post by Aussiegunnut »

brilliant group!

Don't forget to allow for the shift in impact due to the giant harmonic damper strapped to your barrel. Mine always shifts my poi a little low and right on my target gun.
Blaser R8 22-250, 6.5x284, .300NM
BAT Custom 6x47 Lapua
Pierce 700 28 Nosler

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

You might try the IMR 4451 as a substitute for H4350. The charge weights are NEARLY identical and the performance is similar. It's also available at Powder Valley.

The upside is less copper fouling, although the stuff is still DIRTY.
Ringo, formerly rodell
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that". - George Carlin

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

OnPoint wrote:You might try the IMR 4451 as a substitute for H4350. The charge weights are NEARLY identical and the performance is similar. It's also available at Powder Valley.

If you do not clean them, you will never notice a powder is dirty or not. This rifle probably has 300-500 rounds through it since it was actually cleaned,and that was an mistake. Somebody else cleaned it. Took 30 rounds to get it back to it shooting halfway decent again. Even the gunsmith buddy of mine remarked, what a smooth bore the barrel had when he threaded it for the muzzle brake. He wanted to know what my break in, and cleaning program was. He thought I was lying to him when I told him, I just punched it out with one wet patch, of a homemade, solvent, that has little effect on copper, before storing it for more than a few days. It probably has 1500 rounds through it now. Figure it may need actually cleaned one more time before the barrel is toast at 3000-3500 rounds. then just install another 350.00 barrel.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

After shortening up the OAL to 2.80, so it would feed through the mags of all my Creedmoors, and figuring out an issue I had with parallax. I let the rifle cool down, went out and fired at a new orange dot. The first one went just a tad low. The next three printed at about twelve o'clock. Going just a skosh over 1/2. Then without letting the barrel cool down, I fired three more at the next dot. They went just a hair under 1/2 inch. I am liking the consistency. When I get a chance, I want to run this load in the four other rifles I have, to see if they will tolerate such a generic load. I may also be able to run the bullet out .010 further, but I want to test it in the other rifles first for function while firing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Corjack wrote:
OnPoint wrote:You might try the IMR 4451 as a substitute for H4350. The charge weights are NEARLY identical and the performance is similar. It's also available at Powder Valley.

If you do not clean them, you will never notice a powder is dirty or not. This rifle probably has 300-500 rounds through it since it was actually cleaned,and that was an mistake. Somebody else cleaned it. Took 30 rounds to get it back to it shooting halfway decent again. Even the gunsmith buddy of mine remarked, what a smooth bore the barrel had when he threaded it for the muzzle brake. He wanted to know what my break in, and cleaning program was. He thought I was lying to him when I told him, I just punched it out with one wet patch, of a homemade, solvent, that has little effect on copper, before storing it for more than a few days. It probably has 1500 rounds through it now. Figure it may need actually cleaned one more time before the barrel is toast at 3000-3500 rounds. then just install another 350.00 barrel.
I've noticed that with my 6br. Clean it and it takes 10-20 rounds to settle down and start to shoot again. So why do I clean it so often? Can't help myself...... :doh: :doh:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “6.5 Creedmoor Database”