Any problem bringing a Blaser into Canada for a moose hunt

A place to discuss regulations, or the over regulation in most case, that our members have to deal with in their respective countries. Hopefully discussion will lead to more rules based on common sense, rather than fears by the government.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

WDMTex

Any problem bringing a Blaser into Canada for a moose hunt

Post by WDMTex »

Hi, I'm looking for advice from someone with recent experience. It seems that the government keeps changing gun laws. I am headed to a moose hunt this fall and I plan to bring my R8 with both a 300 WM and a 308 barrel. I can't find any reference to Blaser on the Canadian site and want t0 make sure that there are no restrictions. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'll be flying Air Canada from Texas to Toronto.

MM
Meister der jagd

Re: Any problem bringing a Blaser into Canada for a moose hunt

Post by MM »

I just flew into and out of Canada in March for my muskox hunt with my K95. I entered Canada in Calgary and cleared US customs there on my return. I had no issues with Canada and in fact the officer was a huge Blaser fan and wanted to talk guns awhile. Coming home I sailed right through and in fact they never inspected my gun or asked for my 4457 forms.
The only complication I have experienced is airline related with ammo. Some of the agents required me to put my ammo in a separate locked container in my gun case and some required me to remove it and put it in my duffel bag. This happens with the same airline domestic or international. I bought a small MTM ammo box that accepts a TSA lock and just move it back and forth as required. I also find traveling with my rifle broken down makes things go faster. In my experience crossing in Toronto takes a long time especially coming home so leave plenty of time between flights. Good luck on your hunt.
Matt

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I did a moose hunt in BC a few years ago and took two Blaser barrels. I drove across from Washington State. I listed the receiver stock and both barrels separately with their caliber and serial numbers. I did the same on my 4457 form along with both scopes. Both the Canadian and American customs checked every thing and I had no problem, but they were a little confused at first. I don't know their current rules but if I remember right I had to fill out their form ahead of time and have them printed out before crossing the border. I forget what their website is.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

WDMTex

Post by WDMTex »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll make sure i leave plenty of time in Toronto!

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Ok your travel through Travel with guns they are very helpful with forms requirements etc.

WDMTex

Post by WDMTex »

I have an update to my question. I was showing a Canadian friend a picture of my setup and he remarked that "pistol grips" are banned in Canada. I have a thumbhole stock, R8 pro Success. While not a pistol grip I'm wondering if anyone has brought on across the border. Blasers are rare enough that I can't find any mention in the Canadian database.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

I traveled to Canada in September 2023 for a moose hunt with my R8.

Paperwork was very easy to complete. It took less than 15 minutes at Vancouver Airport to get everything done. The only thing that stood out as being a bit unusual was that I had to list serial numbers from both the barrel and receiver.

Rod
IMG_5755.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Glad it worked out. Congratulations

Return to “International Firearms Freedoms”