1st Sambar Stag with the 33XC

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

1st Sambar Stag with the 33XC

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Took off with a good mate on a mission to blood the 33XC after waiting on the parts/build and all the load work that goes into the set up of these things. We started on one side of the mountain and ended up on the other side as it was snowing on the tops. Arrived at the camp and set up and got ready for the next morning. Up early for the 1st glassing session and we spotted about 7 or 8 deer, one was a nice stag we really couldn't get a good look at due to moving in and out of the thick timbers. Rissole pick out one as he was super keen to blood the 33XC and get that Jonah out the way, so it doesn't linger on with this rifle. This would be the 1st time his had a crack at a long shot, but all the data seems to be good. Video set up and shot taken at 660m. Deer ran everywhere and nothing down clear miss. Quick check of the video and elevation was spot on, but was a good 2m to the left. So we found a spot to check zero and it was out to the left. quick adjustment and were back in the game. We found a rock at 690m and both took shot's with our rifles and the rock is dead :clap: . I was the wing man/video man again on this trip :doh:, so Rissole was super confident if a Stag or hind pops out again to blood the rifle. So it was back to camp for lunch and to get all our gear ready for the arvo mish.

Wasn't long and we were back at the glassing spot, and all set up by 3pm and ready to go if one pops out. Didn't take to long and one popped out but quickly went back into cover. We kept scanning the side of the hill and with only about 45 minutes left of light, time was running out. Then all of a sudden a different stag popped out. As I was the camera man this time and mate was an experienced shooter I didn't have to help set the rifle up. I had my ear muffs on my head :doh: and just needed a second to pop them on. Video running shot fired and deer was poleaxed on the spot. We then quickly made our way over before we ran out of light. We found the deer after a bit of mucking around and manage to get a couple photos before it got dark. Then we processed the old stag and carried the meat out and back to the car.

We real did this guy a favor as he had no teeth left and one hoof was RS. But the 33XC is blooded and ready to go find the other big stag on the next adventure. :dance:
It wasn't until back at camp I asked Rissole how far that shot was, as it was a lot longer than in the morning. He wasn't sure as was just too excited to remember. He then check the last 3 saved hits on his Swaro binos and it had 825m,824m,823m. He hadn't re set the scope after the shot and it was set for 823m. Not a bad shot with a new rifle and only the 3 shot he's fired at long range with it. :clap:

IMG_2696.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: 1st Sambar Stag with the 33XC

Post by Rod »

I’d never heard of this 33 XC until your post. A quick google and……fornicate ….that’s a cannon. :lol:

Well done.

Rod

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Rod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:14 am I’d never heard of this 33 XC until your post. A quick google and……fornicate ….that’s a cannon. :lol:

Well done.

Rod
They sure do hit with a lot of authority. If I new about it before I just re chambered my 338Lapimp last year, I would off built the 33XC. This one is not even running a hot load. 120gr of 2225 doing around 3120fps out of a 28" Proof carbon barrel. What I like about it is only 1 reamer design and the cases are made by Peterson and no fire forming. They also have the 37XC (375) and 41XC (416). Rifle is still light enough to walk around with. :handgestures-thumbup:

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

If the shooter shaked like the camera man, the stag would still be a live :whistle:

Nice shot and good hunting :clap:
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Olsen wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:34 am If the shooter shaked like the camera man, the stag would still be a live :whistle:

Nice shot and good hunting :clap:
hahahaha I had to hold it with 2 hands as the head on the tripod needed tightening. Not bad for 823m :lol: But I got the job done as we only had seconds as the stag was about to walk back in the thick bush. :handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Bit too much gun for me, but it definitely does the job.

But that historical laughter at the end was even better then the shot. 😂
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

That’s a LOOOOONG shot.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:09 am Bit too much gun for me, but it definitely does the job.

Yeah Paul is a funny fucker. But to understand the stress/ relief after bringing the reamer and brass in, having the gun made and all the load work done, it was a big relief for him. As you know getting $hit done out here is not easy. :handgestures-thumbup:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

canalrifle wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:43 am That’s a LOOOOONG shot.
It sure was. Was fantastic to be part of and for this week its all we have talked about. :handgestures-thumbup: stay tuned as there's a bit more to come over the next few months. :handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 am
SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:09 am Bit too much gun for me, but it definitely does the job.

Yeah Paul is a funny fucker. But to understand the stress/ relief after bringing the reamer and brass in, having the gun made and all the load work done, it was a big relief for him. As you know getting $hit done out here is not easy. :handgestures-thumbup:
Frustration would be going through that and living in WA.
Just get it done, just load for it, then have to sell it without firing a shot.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:28 am
deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 am

Frustration would be going through that and living in WA.
Just get it done, just load for it, then have to sell it without firing a shot.
Not wrong there. Mark & Sam after work played a big roll in that, posting on youtube shooting 3000m shots with crazy guns he built. Every gun on the WA band list they posted on their channel. General public and politicians don't need to see that stuff as the less they know the better. Its risky enough with what we do to be honest.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Just drying the jerky I’ve made from the back straps👌🏻
IMG_2724.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Nice mate. Was that a 300 grain elite hunter?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Rifletuner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:24 pm Nice mate. Was that a 300 grain elite hunter?
Sure was. Only the big pills with the big boy toys :lol: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:20 am
Sure was. Only the big pills with the big boy toys :lol: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”