Dog search

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Dog search

Post by Gamsjagd »

We have never had a dog in our marriage, 13 years. I have not had a dog since I was 18. I am almost 50.

We have 3 kids that would love a dog. My wife doesn't hate dogs, but she is afraid of them. Her cousin had his face almost bit off and she witnessed it.

I'd like this dog to do 3 things.

1. Be a family pet that my kids can love on. 3 girls, the dog will have to deal with being dressed up and petted all the time. My parents have a corgi that my kids and wife adore.

2. Blood trail

3. Be calm and not so big.

I would love a large Musterlander, Korthals or Wirehaired Pointer. I know that it is too much dog for my wife to be around.

I have never been around a Bavarian Mountain Hound or a Bracken Hound.

I don't know if a jagdterrier or foxterrier would be too much for her but I suspect it would.

Vaughan

Re: Dog search

Post by Vaughan »

As a wirehair addict, I think they're fantastic family dogs. Love kids. But high energy and while not big damn strong and if they decide to kill something they can be intimidating, so maybe not. The couple of jagdterriers I've known were high energy bolshy little fuzzy bunnies. Great dogs but.....
Maybe something like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drever
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Get your wife and daughters a pug and a hunting dog for yourself. They won’t leave the pug alone and will ignore your dog.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

My missus has a Spoodle , half poodle and half spaniel. The current one is the second that she has had. Both were well natured and intelligent. Both loved chasing birds and rabbits…much to the wife’s horror. They didn’t d shed hair, great natured, great with kids…and yes the daughter dressed up the first one on numerous occasions. Both weighed about 10 kg… or a tad under.

I even liked the mungrels …which is saying something.

Rod

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

We have an English Pointer bitch who turns 3 in a weeks time. She has been bred from hunting lines to indicate deer. She has a great nose and could easily be trained to blood trail. They air scent as well as ground scent and have an excellent nose.

She has been a great dog. Largely a pet that spends a lot of time with my son, she is also very good in the bush on deer. She is easy to train, and a big sook. She spends most of the day relaxing, though she does need a walk and we take her on about a mile long walk through bush land every day. She is not aggressive at all and very rarely barks. She will bark at strangers coming to the house, though usually just watches them very intently. One time out camping with my son, a person we new walked into camp and she barked at him. But she never growls at people or other animals.

For a home pet that is great at hunting duties, she has been excellent. She is physically smaller than a GSP / GWP, and I feel like not as high energy as those breeds either.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Rifletuner wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:30 pm We have an English Pointer bitch who turns 3 in a weeks time. She has been bred from hunting lines to indicate deer. She has a great nose and could easily be trained to blood trail. They air scent as well as ground scent and have an excellent nose.

She has been a great dog. Largely a pet that spends a lot of time with my son, she is also very good in the bush on deer. She is easy to train, and a big sook. She spends most of the day relaxing, though she does need a walk and we take her on about a mile long walk through bush land every day. She is not aggressive at all and very rarely barks. She will bark at strangers coming to the house, though usually just watches them very intently. One time out camping with my son, a person we new walked into camp and she barked at him. But she never growls at people or other animals.

For a home pet that is great at hunting duties, she has been excellent. She is physically smaller than a GSP / GWP, and I feel like not as high energy as those breeds either.

I had a male English Pointer and he was a fantastic dog. Was not keen on the water, but a fantastic tracker and awesome on the Quail. English Pointers are no way as near as hypo at the GWP or GSP. I have a GWP X Weimaraner atm and she is on her very, very last legs with a tumor on the lung and she is still hypo. I think I will definitely get a English pointer again. Not sure on male or female :think:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Kevin375

Post by Kevin375 »

Everyone has one's favourite dog.
My father had a Korthal but I don't think it was very representative of its breed. He was a good hunter but quite nasty and when I was still a toddler he bit a couple of time :( I met other Korthals and German Wirehaired Pointers later who were more friendly but they had a lot of energy too.
I don't remember about the large Münsterlander, but the small one is more and more present in my country. They hunt everything and more and more blood trackers use them to recover wounded games.

I personnaly own a Bavarian mountain hound. He is 2 years old and he is lovely with children and very quiet in comparison to others breeds I met. That's not a big dog and they are well known for their tracking ability. I stopped to train mine because of personnal problems but he had a great potential :(

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

MM wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:17 pm Get your wife and daughters a pug and a hunting dog for yourself. They won’t leave the pug alone and will ignore your dog.

Just no!

One dog will do.

Bayerisch Brache sounds pretty good!

If I was more into hunting birds, a clumbers, springer, setter, boikin or somethign like that would be a thing for me.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:38 am
I had a male English Pointer and he was a fantastic dog. Was not keen on the water, but a fantastic tracker and awesome on the Quail. English Pointers are no way as near as hypo at the GWP or GSP. I have a GWP X Weimaraner atm and she is on her very, very last legs with a tumor on the lung and she is still hypo. I think I will definitely get a English pointer again. Not sure on male or female :think:
We have been very happy with our girl, but its hard to draw any conclusions about breed characteristics from just her. I would probably go with a female again if I had the choice, but if I could only get a male when I wanted one then I would pick good lines and a good breeder over choice of sex.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Rifletuner wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:59 pm
I would pick good lines and a good breeder over choice of sex.
what he said... :handgestures-thumbup: I have a preference for male dogs, bitches can take more work to win over, but once you get them onside a strong forceful bitch will get the job done just as well as a dog.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Rifletuner wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:59 pm
We have been very happy with our girl, but its hard to draw any conclusions about breed characteristics from just her. I would probably go with a female again if I had the choice, but if I could only get a male when I wanted one then I would pick good lines and a good breeder over choice of sex.
Zillion % as far as the breeder go's, makes life so much more easier with everything from temperament, brain smarts and medical issue. Then its just putting in what you want out of the dog.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Dachshunds are good blood trackers and should be good for the gals.
https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/category/breeds/
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Rifletuner wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:30 pm We have an English Pointer bitch who turns 3 in a weeks time. She has been bred from hunting lines to indicate deer. She has a great nose and could easily be trained to blood trail. They air scent as well as ground scent and have an excellent nose.

Is she from the breeder in Vic that after you take her home you go back and get training lessons from him?

On an on topic post, have you thought about a small dog? My little fox terrier is a brilliant blood tracker that has followed a tril for almost 2km that only had 3 small drops of blood on it, that's an impressive effort.
Little dogs are brilliant house pets and lap dogs that can work damn hard and not give up.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Labrador all the way :dance: :dance:
Screenshot_20230729_061229_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

My last dog was an English Pointer and I agree with what’s already been said about them. Lovely personalities and will hunt all day. I’d imagine like all breeds that you would want to get one from a breeder who breeds for the purposes that you are looking for. I don’t think a pointer from field trial lines would suit me.

My current dog is a vizsla and he’s been great in the home and hunting. Their a bit smaller then some of the other versatile breeds, with the females commonly under 20kgs.

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”