K95 question

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Vaughan

K95 question

Post by Vaughan »

For K95 owners.... I just saw a reasonably priced K95 stutzen in 22 hornet with an octagonal bbl for sale. Not something I was looking for but I have a soft spot for the Hornet. I understand/think that if I wanted to add a new bbl (eg. 7x65r) I would need a new forend. No problem.

Main problem is I'm LH and this of course is RH. I had the same issue with my BB97 but I had a gunsmith shave off the cheek swell and cut the stock for a comb riser and it has been fine. Only missed with it once. I shot a tree not the moose standing behind it.... :doh: :oops: Was thinking I could do the same for this rather than buy a new LH stock.

My question for the K95 owners is whether you can see any bias in the K95 stocks that might be an issue for taking this approach? There might be a bit of a palm swell that biases for RH but I can cope with that.

cheers
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Re: K95 question

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd get a left handed stock on egun and keep the right hand one unmodified. That way if down the track you decide to sell it then you will have a lot more potential buyers.

But I do notice a little palm swell on my pistol grip, and I'm not sure if that might cause you a problem.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

I am a left hand shooter and I have tried both. I can hold and shoot a right K95 but it feels nothing like the left hand with the correct fit. Night and Day actually….yes, doable but not recommended. Been there….get the correct hand and you will be much happier.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Good advice. I will investigate the correct stock options, thanks. The palm swell is noticable on my BB97 as well. Pulling the rear trigger is a bit awkward as a result. Works fine but is not ideal.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Being over in Thailand ATM I think the way I would describe the wrong palm swell is its a bit like a lady boy.
It might work more or less the same, look pretty much identical, but your always aware that something doesn't feel quite right and that could be a bit off putting.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:51 am Being over in Thailand ATM I think the way I would describe the wrong palm swell is its a bit like a lady boy.
It might work more or less the same, look pretty much identical, but your always aware that something doesn't feel quite right and that could be a bit off putting.
I bow to your superior experience...... :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:51 am Being over in Thailand ATM I think the way I would describe the wrong palm swell is its a bit like a lady boy.
So not on a family holiday then?? :lol: :lol:

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

Vaughan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:28 pm I understand/think that if I wanted to add a new bbl (eg. 7x65r) I would need a new forend. No problem
You don't even need an additional forend for the extra stutzen barrel, the wood on the front of the barrel is very easy to take off and swap across, just need to unscrew the sling swivel and a torx at the midpoint of the barrel and it comes off.
The mounts on the barrel are adjustable to fit the timber so you should be able to set it all up so everything fits both perfectly.
Does not take too long to swap, not something I'd do daily in the field but easy enough to do at.home before a hunt if you were selecting what barrel to take.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:35 pm
So not on a family holiday then?? :lol: :lol:
Actually yes I am, I just have a very understanding wife.🤣

What really made me think of that was actually walking around town, I like to get a proper massage every day as they only cost about $15 over here and my back is shot, but I was walking past a couple of lady boy massage shops the other day and thought about getting one just for the hell of it, but I couldn't shake the thought of something bumping into me during it that might throw off the experience. :shifty:
jamesc wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:34 pm
Vaughan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:28 pm I understand/think that if I wanted to add a new bbl (eg. 7x65r) I would need a new forend. No problem
You don't even need an additional forend for the extra stutzen barrel, the wood on the front of the barrel is very easy to take off and swap across, just need to unscrew the sling swivel and a torx at the midpoint of the barrel and it comes off.
The mounts on the barrel are adjustable to fit the timber so you should be able to set it all up so everything fits both perfectly.
Does not take too long to swap, not something I'd do daily in the field but easy enough to do at.home before a hunt if you were selecting what barrel to take.
I'd still get a matching forend, it just avoids the risk of loosing a screw in the field and makes the barrel changes far more quick and easy. But then there's also nothing wrong with using a standard barrel on a stuzen gun, I do it all the time no drama at all.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:20 pm But then there's also nothing wrong with using a standard barrel on a stuzen gun, I do it all the time no drama at all.
Ah, that's good to know, thanks. I'm now hunting for a LH stock set. I'll track that down then take things from there. I know I could order new, but I'll try this first... "plenty" of barely used RH K95s floating about.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

There's always too many hardly used blasers on the market, we seem to attract either safe queen collectors or hard hunting owners but few in between.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

My problem has always been that the buggers don't wear out fast enough, and I can't persuade myself that I need to buyi something new. It's a sickness.....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm happy to hold onto my K95 forever, I'd rather it didn't wear out and just keeps putting meat on the table.

Bwtf

Post by Bwtf »

I have a right hand k95 I shoot left hand. Possibly not ideal but it works for me. Never tried it left handed stock to know the difference.

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

I would try one….it’s a better feel and fit.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”